1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

ATTENTION!! Someone tell me how to get certified to install sprinkler systems!!!!!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Lawn Boy, Jul 7, 2005.

  1. Lawn Boy

    Lawn Boy LawnSite Member
    Messages: 25

    Next year I have decided that I would like to install sprinkler systems because there is only two companies in this town that install and I could have had atleast ten jobs this year, which is pretty good, I think! I live in Sedalia, MO. I cant figure out where I need to go someone please help me.
  2. extoro

    extoro LawnSite Member
    Messages: 96

    I don't know if there is such a thing as a "certified" irragation installer in MO. There are classes you can take to become licensed to inspect back flow preventer. From what I have been told the good money in irragation is not in the installation but in the SERVICE. I do know for a 15min. backflow inspection most guys get $50 - the class & license is $500 - contact the city and see if they can lead you in the right direction
  3. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,573

    Yeah, become a service tech, and you will learn what's what. It can be surprising how quickly the installation work can become less profitable than service. Besides, it's fun to shake your head at the incompetent installations out there.
  4. AceSprinkleRx

    AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming
    Messages: 95

    There is no experience like hands on experience. So I have a small classified coming out in our local paper under the Directory Service classification where other contractors, carpenters painters and the like advertise.

    All it says is:

    Lawn Sprinkler
    Service - Repairs
    XXX-XXXX Lv Msg​

    Hopefully folks with a small problem will not want to contact one of the big "plumber" houses around and give me a shot. On the otehr side most plumbing shops are very busy with new rresidential construction and may not want to mess with some small repair.

    There's only one "sprinkler & landscaper" in our area and I'm banking on the fact he is doing installs. (One man w/laborer operation). If I can slide in under the radar, get some hands on experience to go with what mechanical abilities I have, I'm hoping to get a few service contracts going for blowouts and then turn-ons this Spring.

  5. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,573

    Don't forget the yellow pages. Even the smallest line will get you calls.
  6. sheshovel

    sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,112

    In California you can't do any underground irrigation installation without a contractors licence in that catagory under landscaper or plumber or general contractor
  7. jerryrwm

    jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,274

    The Irrigation Assn has a certification program. It has nothing to do with local or state certification but will show people that you have attained a certain level of proficiency in the irrigation field.

    Check with local authorities and they can tell you what the code requirements are for installing systems and repairing systems. You may be able to install the systems without any kind of certification, but will be required to have a licensed plumber do the tap and backflow installation.

  8. bicmudpuppy

    bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,781

    MO is not a licensing state for irrigation. Contact your local plumbing inspector to find out what the requirements for installation are in your area. Here in MO and KS, the rules get all screwed up. There is no consistency. We have minimum code from the state level, but each water district and city goverment has their own additions. In some areas, if you are backflow certified, you are good. In others, a plumber must still make your tap. Some even go so far as to require the plumber to install the backflow device, even if you are certified. Getting backflow certified will be in your best intrest. Annual testing is a nice profit center, and it enhances your credibility. Johnson County Community College in KC has a great class/program. You should be able to find something a little closer to you though. In MO, you have the option of being ABPA or ANSI certified. Either one works for you, which ever one you can get a good instructor/class for would be my recomendation.
  9. AceSprinkleRx

    AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming
    Messages: 95

    JCCC! WOW does that ever bring back a flood of memories. My first wife actually gave birth to our first born on an off ramp to 435/Quivira Rd off of HWY Alt 69 back in '80 during all of the construction there back then. We could just barely see Quivira Hospital from there. Man was that exciting for a first time daddy! LMAO (Broke in my Mustang too!)

    Used to be you could drive from Louisburg all the way to Menlo Park Mall and only see a few farm houses. Now it's wall-to-wall housing. It's been 20 years since I've heard/read the name JCCC. Now I'm homesick.
  10. PLM-1

    PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,640

    And now it's four lanes!

Share This Page