1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Augered well

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Waterit, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Have a 2" well with Sta-Rite MSE jet pump scheduled to go in this coming Wednesday.

Don't know if I'll be able to video, ala CSR, but will have plenty of pics.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Cool beans! I'm curious about the equipment used, since most of the augering stuff I see is either too heavy-duty to do small-diameter holes, or too light to be certain of getting deep enough. I saw more of the old tripod-and-drop-weight technique, for all those 1-1/4 inch points that were driven a generation ago.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

4. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

We'd use a rig that size along with a water truck and trailered compressor for a 4" well, which can go anywhere from 60' to 200'.

It's not all sand, we have a nice limestone layer too, not to mention various heavy-clay hardpan layers.

My own well is 180 ft. deep, and had to be drilled with the big rig. They started out hand-bailing, got to about 35' after 2 hours, and the water fell out. Instead of the 2HP centrifugal that I had the cost of a gasket invested in, I wound up with and MSE jet pump which at the time went for about $325.