Automatic Sprinkler Pressure Relief Pipe?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by skytower31, Jun 28, 2007.

1. skytower31

skytower31 LawnSite Member

Hi folks, just ran across this forum and hopefully someone can help me out. I have a 4 zone auto sprinkler system at my house. I recently replumbed one of the valves to a new line for some new landscaping. This valve was for an area we no longer have landscaping in. All the valves have 3/4" piping going in and out of them. Downstream of the valve in the new line I plumbed I used a reducing 90* elbow to go from 3/4" to 1/2". This new landscaped area already had a 1/2" line plumbed under the concrete walk, etc so I didn't want to redo everything with 3/4" pipe. When I tested the new line, water started coming from the ground around the input/output lines from the valves. After some digging I found an open ended pipe buried under the valve piping. Best I could figure is that it is a pressure relief pipe if there is too much pressure in the system. Anyone ever heard of this? The other 3 valves work fine and were all plumbed before we bought the house.

Here are my quetsions:
    Is that a pressure relief pipe?
    How can I reduce from 3/4" to 1/2"?
    Do I have to completely re-run the line?

Thanks for any help!!!

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

My guess would be you cut a feed line to another part of your property, either to a remote set of values or a hose bibb.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

There is no such thing as a pressure relief pipe.

Please dig the whole thing out good, and take a picture.

BTW, somethings are better left done by professionals.

4. FIMCO-MEISTER

FIMCO-MEISTER Banned

i wish I could add to your post Jon but you covered everything so beautifully in three sentences.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Please re-state your problem using a less roundabout explanation. You attached a 1/2" new line to the old 3/4 from the valve to going under the walk with a reducing 90. It goes out to the un-landscaped area. Now you tested the new line and water is coming out of an unknown pipe under the valve line is this correct?

6. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

It's possible you somehow reconnected the old line somewhere and it is simply feeding back to the valve where it used to connect.

7. FIMCO-MEISTER

FIMCO-MEISTER Banned

How about we let him post pics. Having a confused person restate his problem doesn't seem very productive to me.:dizzy:

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Cuz he probably does not know how to post up pics, ever thought of that?

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Former Moderator

He's never been back yet to see any of the responses. He was last here on
    6-28, 5:42pm.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

... except on $1500/zone systems... and I'll bet they're copper or brass. :laugh: