• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Average cuts per year in PA

Zachary52902

LawnSite Member
I was wondering If anyone could tell me the average cuts per year in Pa near philadelphia. I charge for 26 cuts and I usually discount the customer that pay the whole year in advance. Depending on the customer give them 1 or 2 free cuts. What are your thoughts on that?

Scraper

LawnSite Bronze Member
I average 28-30 on unirrigated and 32 on irrigated....last year all accounts were at 33 with all the rain. You've been in business for 5 years and have not figured out how many times you cut an account each year? Sounds like you are giving away more than 1 or 2 free cuts....more like 5 or 6. No freebies here.... I average out a yearly residential contract at 30 cuts and if I cut 32, they pay the difference and vice versa if I were to only cut 28.

OP
Z

Zachary52902

LawnSite Member
When the weather is hot I usually only cut when it is needed instead of every week. So it usually comes out to 26 cuts. This year I plan on cutting every week. Thats why I wanted to know how many cuts. So I can charge accordingly. Thanks

Scraper

LawnSite Bronze Member
Originally posted by Zachary52902
When the weather is hot I usually only cut when it is needed instead of every week. So it usually comes out to 26 cuts.
Me too, but I've never been below 28. You have to learn to extend the season. ;)

GarPA

LawnSite Silver Member
agreement is based on 32...even in the drought of 2002, we only skipped a couple weeks if I recall correctly. Most of our accounts are small to medium commercial and nearly all of them(including residential) are set up as "grounds maintenance"...so theres work to do whether the mower is running or not...we try to "drought proof" most of our accounts...

qualitylandscaping

LawnSite Bronze Member
26 for really slow growing, non irrigated lawns; and up to 32 for fertilized and irrigated lawns..

Was right around 28-30 for 2003.. Contracts are billed for 30 cuts unless they specify something else.