Average gas $ consumed per lawn.

GRANTSKI

LawnSite Silver Member
gas price is a hot topic but I’m wondering if anyone has done the math and figured out how much gas they consumes per hour or per lawn. Using rough #s w one WB and one stander @ current gas prices my average looks to be about $1.50-1.75 in gas per $50-$75 lawn between (mowers & mixed gas)
So even with these “outrageous” gas prices … the additional cost per lawn is minimal…maybe $1.
Truck mileage is a whole diff story …that’s where it adds up - but that’s also why it makes more sense to drive smaller trucks & only use large engine Ztrs on larger properties . when running my pred pro for cleanups the cost goes wayyyy up. Point is Gas will continue to go up over time - no avoiding it so best to focus on the things you can control like not buying the biggest / baddest mowers and trucks just to mow 1/4 acres. .

OP
GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI

LawnSite Silver Member
The pred pro uses more gas, but how much more work does it do for the same amount of gas?
I have a z2 that i can move faster on. I think that about a 25hp vs a 35hp? On the pred pro.
plus I keep the walk behind because of the low cost of machine plus easy to repair and low maintenance makes it the smarter mower to have / worth it to keep esp for the smaller lawns.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
I have a z2 that i can move faster on. I think that about a 25hp vs a 35hp? On the pred pro.
plus I keep the walk behind because of the low cost of machine plus easy to repair and low maintenance makes it the smarter mower to have / worth it to keep esp for the smaller lawns.
Totally understand.
I read on here people comparing this mower/engine to that setup on gph all the time, but they don't mention how 1 setup is way more efficient and requires less run time and thus less fuel burned

Tn Turf

LawnSite Senior Member
I guestimate 1 gallon per hour @ 8 minutes per yard comes out to about 0.43 cents per property at the current gas prices. I run Scag Zero 61" mowers with the small 29 Kohler EFI engines.

Truck gas is probably 0.24 cents per yard.

Total: 0.67 cents per property. And I spend about $500 to $700 per week in fuel during peak season for all trucks and equipment.

Last edited:

Brucey

LawnSite Gold Member
gas price is a hot topic but I’m wondering if anyone has done the math and figured out how much gas they consumes per hour or per lawn. Using rough #s w one WB and one stander @ current gas prices my average looks to be about $1.50-1.75 in gas per $50-$75 lawn between (mowers & mixed gas)
So even with these “outrageous” gas prices … the additional cost per lawn is minimal…maybe $1.
Truck mileage is a whole diff story …that’s where it adds up - but that’s also why it makes more sense to drive smaller trucks & only use large engine Ztrs on larger properties . when running my pred pro for cleanups the cost goes wayyyy up. Point is Gas will continue to go up over time - no avoiding it so best to focus on the things you can control like not buying the biggest / baddest mowers and trucks just to mow 1/4 acres. .
My 25 hp diesel 60 ztr gets around 1 gph. The 18.5hp gas on the 636 stander well below that amount. For the truck gas consumption problem I have a reservation for an f150 lightning, should end up paying about 30% in electricity to get the same "mileage" as gas.

Tn Turf

LawnSite Senior Member
My 25 hp diesel 60 ztr gets around 1 gph. The 18.5hp gas on the 636 stander well below that amount. For the truck gas consumption problem I have a reservation for an f150 lightning, should end up paying about 30% in electricity to get the same "mileage" as gas.

That's awesome! I can't wait to hear your reviews on it! Congrats.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Avg I'd guess with oil mix included for the 2 strokes probably a dollar a yard but that probably varies from 25 cents to $4 depending on the lawn and how many pieces of equipment we have running.

Brucey

LawnSite Gold Member
That's awesome! I can't wait to hear your reviews on it! Congrats.
Thanks. That's assuming they approve me for financing when the time finally arrives. Right now it's just a $100 refundable deposit.

Looking forward to crew cab for the extra interior space, not looking forward to only having a 5.5 ft bed. Limited range should be fine for mowing routes. Will still have gas trucks available to haul the 14k dump trailer etc.

Top Forums