Average lifespan of a urban planted tree is 7 years

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Mudly, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

Below are two reasons why. Learn how to plant trees peeps. Or just call me I’ll replant then for you D03710E5-FB61-4D62-9E06-0974CCCA3033.jpeg

hort101 likes this.
  2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Is that planted in a cage?:wall::realmad:
    About 2 feet to deep?

3. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

:terribletowel:Over my head.

RussellB likes this.
  4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

It's amazing how much good information is available on how to properly plant trees, but isn't followed. :(

BTW, I've heard that 7 year claim for years, but have never found the studies supporting it. Not that I doubt it, but how does that compare to trees lifespan in the wild? Just curious.

RussellB likes this.
  5. phasthound

RussellB likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Mudly

Trees planted by themselves arnt generaly planted to deep or mulched to death. There’s really nothing sexier then a 70 yo sycamore. how many of those do we see on our sidewalk route...

hort101 and Wye Oak Tree like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Mudly

Yes the cage was left on. And planted to deep at least 8 inches. However I dug some of the flare out before I took the picture. I’m going to replant the tree soon with my air spade.

phasthound likes this.
  8. phasthound

True, but how many seedlings are eaten, die from drought or are shaded out by mature trees? Nature can be vicious. Even so, I always enjoy a walk in the woods or a siesta under a 70 year old Sycamore. :sleeping:

PS, airspades are great tools!!

sjessen and Mudly like this.
  9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

The average life span of a urban planted tree (commercial or muni) is 7-8 years because the city planner has someone ripping them up and redoing the area again, THAT's where the average actually comes from, NOT because they were planted wrong....so the end result is, it doesn't matter too much how badly they were planted because someone is going to come by and rip them out, cut them down, pour salt all over them to "save" someone from falling down or some other calamity.

Now RESIDENTIALLY that's a different story, if it's in someones back yard it's probably not getting messed with, then planting procedures will make a difference.
    Frequently however you will get trees that are messed up right from the nursery (more than most people really realize)
    Girdled roots, damaged or compromised root balls, trees left in a cage too long... and most neophytes don't really know what they are looking for.
    Does it mean instant death for the tree? No, does it shorten the trees life span? typically yes.
    But also know that the average wild/forest tree of most species life span is 15-20 years.
    They are often victim to competition with other trees, pest damage, natural disasters( fires floods lightening) and what not.
    People look at old trees and assume ALL trees live that long, which is not the case. THAT tree did because it outlasted the 40 little brothers around it that died to make space for THAT tree.

when you average the life span of all trees...it's not very high no matter what you do...or dont do.

10. OP
    OP
    Mudly

Disagree. I think you’re missing the point here. munis don’t rip out healthy trees to redeveloped every seven years they rip them out because they are failed attempts. It’s A lucrative market for us replanting trees. It’s a big problem period. a healthy tree is a long lasting tree.

hort101 likes this.