Average lifespan of a urban planted tree is 7 years

iand

LawnSite Bronze Member
Don't forget "average life" includes trees hit by cars,pulled out and destroyed by people and other reasons for trees to be destroyed or die soon after planting.Near me the local government has planted a tree 3 or 4 times beside the road and I'm not sure but I think the home owner who's view will be blocked when it grows keeps pulling it out

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Disagree. I think you’re missing the point here. munis don’t rip out healthy trees to redeveloped every seven years they rip them out because they are failed attempts. It’s A lucrative market for us replanting trees. It’s a big problem period. a healthy tree is a long lasting tree.
Had this conversation with the area rep from ISA , State Dot and Chief arborist at UAF jist two weeks ago.
I doesn’t matter what you agree with or think, the munis/governments are constantly changing/developing etc.
The urban tree lifespan is based off that, not improper planting techniques.
That’s why they do things like plant them inside sidewalks and raised concrete planters and such, because they don’t assume they will be around very long.
Costs too much to transplant and warranty vs just installing new trees (I was trying to pitch tree spacing services)

more urban trees are killed by road projects and salt every year than any other reason according to the ISA and university statistics.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Don't forget "average life" includes trees hit by cars,pulled out and destroyed by people and other reasons for trees to be destroyed or die soon after planting.Near me the local government has planted a tree 3 or 4 times beside the road and I'm not sure but I think the home owner who's view will be blocked when it grows keeps pulling it out
exactly what I was referring to above

OP
M

Mudly

LawnSite Senior Member
Had this conversation with the area rep from ISA , State Dot and Chief arborist at UAF jist two weeks ago.
I doesn’t matter what you agree with or think, the munis/governments are constantly changing/developing etc.
The urban tree lifespan is based off that, not improper planting techniques.
That’s why they do things like plant them inside sidewalks and raised concrete planters and such, because they don’t assume they will be around very long.
Costs too much to transplant and warranty vs just installing new trees (I was trying to pitch tree spacing services)

more urban trees are killed by road projects and salt every year than any other reason according to the ISA and university statistics.
Some one forgot half the country doesn’t use road salt. Look at the bigger picture. However if you read the original post...

Trees Too

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks for the share!
A lot of Urban Foresters have a challenge on their hands.
I always roll my eyes at the street/sidewalk trees growing out of iron grates or brick pavers! :rolleyes: