1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Average lifespan of a urban planted tree is 7 years

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Mudly, Oct 7, 2019.

1. iand

iand LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't forget "average life" includes trees hit by cars,pulled out and destroyed by people and other reasons for trees to be destroyed or die soon after planting.Near me the local government has planted a tree 3 or 4 times beside the road and I'm not sure but I think the home owner who's view will be blocked when it grows keeps pulling it out

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Had this conversation with the area rep from ISA , State Dot and Chief arborist at UAF jist two weeks ago.
    I doesn’t matter what you agree with or think, the munis/governments are constantly changing/developing etc.
    The urban tree lifespan is based off that, not improper planting techniques.
    That’s why they do things like plant them inside sidewalks and raised concrete planters and such, because they don’t assume they will be around very long.
    Costs too much to transplant and warranty vs just installing new trees (I was trying to pitch tree spacing services)

more urban trees are killed by road projects and salt every year than any other reason according to the ISA and university statistics.

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

exactly what I was referring to above

4. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Got me a sycamore planted in 1946 in front of my house. Thing is huge and beautiful and provides great shade.

5. OP
    OP
    Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

Some one forgot half the country doesn’t use road salt. Look at the bigger picture. However if you read the original post...

6. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

phasthound, RussellB and Mudly like this.
  7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

8. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the share!
    A lot of Urban Foresters have a challenge on their hands.
    I always roll my eyes at the street/sidewalk trees growing out of iron grates or brick pavers! :rolleyes:

Mudly likes this.