1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Average paver compaction measurement

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by xtreem3d, Jun 10, 2011.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I was wanting to know what measurement do you normally add to raise the screeds to allow for the compaction of the pavers into the sand to meet an existing walk ? In other words 2 3/8" paver + 1" sand + ? (compaction "factor")
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

I bring the level of the compacted base to 3" below the top edge of the concrete, and use 3/4" iron pipe for sand screeding. After compaction the pavers end up being just right.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

1 inch of sand.

If less than thy you don't achieve proper compaction.

Pacers will comPact 1/2" into the sand.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I would agree that 1" in my area as well....but the for all i know this standard varies across the country. 1/4" is usually good, I find bigger pavers won't settle as much as small pavers to you need to adjust.

5. xtreem3d

thanks.... sounds like you all add about a 1/4-1/2" to the base height to get the compaction to end up level. i just saw a gazillion vids and everyone of them measured the finished height from the driveway, patio ect ...not one of them compensated for the compaction

6. landscapemike2

landscapemike2 LawnSite Member

3/4 pipe is one inch so it will work just fine

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Correct. My small enterprise factors in 1/2".

And we use steel pipes. We do not use PVC. we use steel. Not PVC.

Posted via Mobile Device

8. xtreem3d

i will be using steel also EXCEPT near one end where i will need to create a bowl effect to meet a sewer. i'll use pvc to conform to that slight slope,
    Steve

9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

1/4" to 3/8" depending on type of brick. If you are using blu then don't expect more than 1/8" to 1/4". Smaller brick tends to compact in the base further.

10. xtreem3d

thanks...this is Belgard Holland stone 4"x8".

bought a couple new tools for this job. Accuscreed's megascreed which uses standard 1/2" rebar and their holders http://www.accuscreed.com/

And Pavetech's Sandscreed Pull Pro Adjustable http://www.pavetech.com/tools/sandpulladjust.shtm

On the Megascreed i recalibrated the nail for a 1" gas pipe instead of the 2" pipe it calls for