1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Average Speed Walk Behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AlleganyLawnCare, Apr 24, 2007.

1. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

I was wondering what the average speed of other lcos walk-behinds are. I am trying to add a couple of new units, but want to take into account the speed (which is very important to me, plus other factors as well; ie., size, hydro, gear-driven, etc.) of various units before I decide on which to purchase. Can you give me the name of unit, size, speed, and type of unit you have? I would greatly appreciate it. Your help is much appreciative.

Chris

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a real old Kees 36 belt drive and the speed is from real slow to trotting. maybe 1mph-5mph..

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i have a Lesco 48" Belt, and the speed is from a crawl to a jog. like chads said, maybe 1-5? our Hydro Lesco is the same way.

4. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 2006 Exmark Metro 36" belt drive mower. At the top gear ( 5th gear ) It's going.

5. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry I eraised a little to much. It goes 6.2 Mph at 5th gear.

6. hue-nut

hue-nut LawnSite Member

8 miles an hour with my hustler hydro. the hydros have two different settings and you can set them in tow mode which gives you a top speed of 8 miles an hour. I love it.

7. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

Tangent: Ever hit a hidden stump or tree root embedded in the grass at 8 mph? Not a pretty picture. I am not comfortable going fast unless it's a property I am very familiar with.

8. pedro

pedro LawnSite Member

The fastest i have seen is 7.2 (scag). I have run walk behinds for 18 years and that is flying. I think it was cub cadet who had one that would run so fast they had to take it off the market. If you could average 5-6 on a walk behind that would be great. I have a 48 17 hp kaw scag that will run about 5mph. For hills and 1/2 acre or less it is great.

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

NO DOUBT!!!!!!!!! Even hitting something in 3rd gear really sucks!

10. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I just purchased a Ferris 48" 15 hp. hydro walk behind. The manuals said it can do 6 mph. but i didn't buy it for the speed i needed it for the hilly propertys. This machine works great on the hills and i have a few new hills this year.