1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Avg. per Man Hour

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rdran5, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Hep me out, I hear some say a dollar a minute, I have one of my biggest jobs so far, I have been just cuttiing trimming and sweeping, now a customer's neighbor has asked me to do a major (on my scale) cleanup. I have guesstimated 42.5 man hours. It is all cut trim clean-up overgrown areas remove ivy, some tree pruning (and remove 3 limbs)and about 150 ft of red tips (trimmed). And of course cut, trim and sweep. Also I will be able to pile brush for curbside city pick-up, and clear bag debris, no material just sweat and my equip.

What I am asking is 35.00 an hour to much to ask it comes to42.5 Manhours @ 35.00 per to equal 1487.50, and I can probably bust this out with no help in real time 16 hours max. Am I to cheap or is this in line with you guys, and gals.

Thanks for the help.

2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

you know honestly it all depends on what it cost you per hour to run your truck, ins, gas , equipment, trash bags, lunch time, ice, water, etc etc.... sldo how much do u think your worth for you time on top of the expenses..... how far do u have to travel to get there... is it on flat land or hilly..... and dogs there to follow you around and bug the **** out of you while u work... ( i always add a lil extra if i see they let their dog run aournd wild .... ) 35 sounds too cheap to me.... i usually do work like anywhere between 65 and 125 per hour... i know this might sound high but i close 93% of my contracts.. which i think is damned good.... so taking all that into effect u might wanna see bout raising it up a bit... just my.02

3. Thanks Iplantart, I managed to get 1600.00, works out to almost 40 an hour, with no material and I don't even have to remove the brush or trimmings, just pile for city pick-up (I explained to the owner they had to say they did the work if anyone asks) so that reduced the price considerably. I worked solo today for about 3.5 hours. and tomorrow will bring in 2 guys to help hopefully no more than 5 hours each and we should be done. I gues estimating is somewhat of an art, I will learn more with experience, thanks for your help.

4. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

You are estimating 42 hours but it should only take 16 hours? How does that work? If you are estimating 42 hours shouldn't it take 16 hours? I realize that sometimes you should quote high on your hours, but over quoting it 26 hours? Who knows maybe I don't know what I am talking about. When I quote a job, a quote it for what it will take, and then I charge a rate depending on how many hours there is. The more hours the cheaper the hourly rate.

5. NelsonLandworks

NelsonLandworks LawnSite Member

we try to aviod working hourly, but when we do we go for 40-50 an hour depending on what we do. For two people and for how hard we work we don't charge enough. But in your first year of busniess there's a lot to improve on

6. DRSOGR, you couldn't have been more right :blush: I just finished 30 hours and still have to go back tomorrow for about 4 hours(3 men), but the lady was happy and even went ahead and paid me tonight, 1700.00. I told yall i have a lot to learn and thanks for the patience yall show.
    RichLandscapes