Avoiding messy oil changes

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
Just put a tarp underneath it as an extra layer of protection. The only thing other than my truck I change oil on is my Dingo so I can finesse the bucket to give me a good angle. For my truck, I just do it in the advance auto parking lot in a rough part of town. There’s always a few of us doing a quick change there

OP
D

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
On the Cheetah and V-ride, the frames platform where the engine sits is where all that oil from the filter goes. Then is pools around the motor, and such.

I was just wondering if I was missing a major step in the whole process

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
I’m not too familiar, but if you had the mower lifted at a different angle would that help with most of it running off? Then it would be less/ easier to wipe off?

DMT29

LawnSite Fanatic
Same issue with the TT2. Can barely get the 10mm wrench in there to drain the oil. Then take the filter off....forget it. Absolute mess. I've gone the "jam a rag" route but there is barely space for that.

OP
D

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
All right good to know actually! I thought I was just in capable of doing it.

Yesterday while cleaning up one of my mowers, I was thinking if I had 10 machines and had to change the oil every couple of weeks like many of you guys do, that would be a mess and a total pain LOL

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
As was mentioned, just punch a hole in the side near the end, put a small pan ( I usually use a tuna can ) under the filter and rotate till the hole is on the bottom, then punch another hole opposite. Cardboard works just as well to funnel the oil away from the frame, and is a lot cheaper than the pla$tic thing, right. Can also use a lid off a maxwell house plastic coffee can to catch the drips.

DMT29

LawnSite Fanatic
put a plastic bag like a sandwich bag over the filter before removal but after its broke loose. Same principle on cars and trucks.

Kaboom!! I like it. Giving it a shot.

Andrew Drapper

LawnSite Member
On the Cheetah and V-ride, the frames platform where the engine sits is where all that oil from the filter goes. Then is pools around the motor, and such.

I was just wondering if I was missing a major step in the whole process

Are you talking about draining the oil or changing the oil filter? We suck out the oil, much less messy. Some people attach an extension to the drain hole so it misses the frame of the mower. I don't know it that is possible for your mower.

For now... oil filters are a mess... lots of blue roll and a good clear up after.

Top Forums