Avoiding messy oil changes

Andrew Drapper

LawnSite Member
Same issue with the TT2. Can barely get the 10mm wrench in there to drain the oil. Then take the filter off....forget it. Absolute mess. I've gone the "jam a rag" route but there is barely space for that.

Try the oil extractors that such the oil out.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Gold Member
FWIW, I use one of these from Stens.......

IMG_0913.JPG

If you are stuck for a funnel cut down a old oil bottle.....I use a old antifreeze bottle for those place a full size drain pan won't fit......

IMG_0510.JPG

I have a old broken punch I put a point on for filers, and I use a old oil bottle to catch the oil.....
IMG_0046.JPG

Besides shop rags/blue towels, keep some kitty litter/oil dry handy Thumbs Up

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
I can assure you that the pumps with the hose don't remove as much oil nor do they remove more oil. I have one that I use, and it's fine for my VW which is a PIA to get to the drain plug on, but there's no way you're sucking more out with it vs draining.

I don't have a scag and can't speak for the difficulty but would think that with enough paper towels and rags you shouldn't have much of a problem. Even if you poke a hole in the filter it won't all run out unless you have it angled correctly.

Andrew Drapper

LawnSite Member
FWIW, I use one of these from Stens.......

View attachment 411195

If you are stuck for a funnel cut down a old oil bottle.....I use a old antifreeze bottle for those place a full size drain pan won't fit......

View attachment 411196

I have a old broken punch I put a point on for filers, and I use a old oil bottle to catch the oil.....
View attachment 411197

Besides shop rags/blue towels, keep some kitty litter/oil dry handy Thumbs Up

That cut down bottle looks the business... someone find me a bottle... I've got work to do.

OP
D

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
That oil extractor looks great! But it still doesn't solve my filter problem.

I'm gonna try punching a couple of holes in the filter and see how that works, next time. I like that suggestion

Breezmeister

LawnSite Gold Member
I can assure you that the pumps with the hose don't remove as much oil nor do they remove more oil. I have one that I use, and it's fine for my VW which is a PIA to get to the drain plug on, but there's no way you're sucking more out with it vs draining.

Got to agree with you on that, but it's good enough for where I work at

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm gonna try punching a couple of holes in the filter and see how that works, next time. I like that suggestion
To modify my original reply : Punch yer first hole in the filter end right on the shoulder where the end meets the side, don't have to rotate can, right.

I kinda like that plastic bag suggestion, I'm gonna try that deal next time...

OP
D

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
To modify my original reply : Punch yer first hole in the filter end right on the shoulder where the end meets the side, don't have to rotate can, right.

I kinda like that plastic bag suggestion, I'm gonna try that deal next time...

Yeah I like that one too. If you try the bag, lmk. Maybe I'll do one of each lol!!

Thanks for the tip!

OP
D

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
Yeah sure I understand that. What I don’t understand is how do you get the filter off your engine and not spill oil all over the place when you’re removing it? That’s what I’m trying to figure out.

Top Forums