Awkward customer interactions

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Outlawn, Aug 6, 2019.

1. paulsgrass

paulsgrass LawnSite Member

I completely understand what you are saying. It would be inappropriate.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  2. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

I think Mowdaddy was just being funny, at least I hope.

3. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Way back when I was getting started, I cut this lawn for this older black gentleman. He was on disability through the Post office... he was telling me what he wanted done, and how he wanted me to blow the lawn off after I bagged it.Then before I agree with him he yells “I want my house too look like the white folk across the street” following by saying sorry... I almost fell over laughing ..

4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Or ask them if they would like you to finish. Most times the family wants the property to look well kept for the services.

Cam15 and Wye Oak Tree like this.
  5. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Bronze Member

I was mowing a house that we had mowed for some time. 40ish year old guy that lived with his mom. Numerous times I had seen him in the living room through the sliding glass patio door talking what I assumed was business with different nicely dressed folks.

This particular day, I decided to weed eat before mowing and when I did the front yard I noticed a blue sedan in the driveway, but didn’t think anything about it as he has had business guys over before. Worked from home. As I did the back yard, I again noticed someone in the living room doing “business” with him in the living room. I noticed the neighbor next door out front and went to talk to him before I went to get the mower from the truck which was parked at another house a few doors down.

After a few minutes talking the front door if this guys house opens and a guy in a suit comes out and gets into the sedan and drives away. About 30 seconds later the garage door fly’s up and the guy from the house stomps on the gas backing out of the garage and into the street and peels out heading down to the neighborhood exit. Before he could reach the exit two more sedans block the road and guys fly out of the cars with their badges around their necks and yell “FBI, get out of the car!” They had their guns drawn too. They cuffed and stuffed him into a sedan and drove his car back to the house and parked it into the driveway and parked their two cars in front of the drive and house. Another car showed up from ther other direction of the block, assumingly to have headed him off if he went that way.

The neighbor and I watched in awe while for about 30 minutes FBI agents walked around the house with surgical gloves on and inspected everything in the garage. Had a photographer there too.

I didn’t finish the lawn!

About 3 weeks later we got a call from the guy asking if we were going to come mow his lawn???

Evidently he was doing something with interstate trafficking of computer equipment.

Was kinda interesting to watch.

6. God'sGreenGrass

God'sGreenGrass LawnSite Member
    from TEXAS

Here's my awkward encounters....

In the spring I usually go door to door talking to homeowners and passing out flyers. I'm getting picky about my customers, only knocking on the doors of people who have NICE yards, and ACTUALLY CARE about their lawn. Well there was this really nice yard, so, I went up to talk with the home owner...I knocked...

Homeowner answers door, "Hello"
    Me: "Hello" Me introducing myself.
    Customer: "We don't like salesman"
    Me: In my head brain fart, what do I say to that? I say, "I'm sorry I didn't see any no soliciting signs."
    Customer: "That's ok, what are you selling."
    Me: Sales pitch, blah blah blah.
    Customer still has door open to front door: Dog runs out between legs of customer. A nice big rhodesian ridgeback. Dog was not aggressive to me but started running away in circles around yard. Customer let out a long strand of do-not-repeat-again-words.
    Me: "I'm so sorry" I move to side of house because dog is scared of me and staying away from me.
    Customer gets dog inside: "We're not interested, have a good day."

Drats, well I still want them as a client but I won't be knockin' on their doors any time soon.

Second story:

Was going door to door again, same day. Lady answers door and says, I'm sorry but my husband had a heart attack this weekend, can you come back another time? AWKWARD!

Third story:

Was mowing a clients lawn, and the husband came out. He is probably in 70's or early 80's. Has me bend down to weed garden beds turns around and slowly lets one rip. It smelled awful! He never said a thing, neither did I. If we had 10 lives I used 9 in that moment, it smelled so bad.

Outlawn likes this.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Flyers handed out personally can be tricky, in the sense that any ensuing conversation about services you or an employer/associate can offer can fit the legal definition of soliciting. Homes don't require any no-soliciting signage.

8. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

LOL triple G-thanks for sharing! :laugh:

9. OP
    OP
    Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Here’s a great recent one, although it was on the ambulance and not anything in the green industry:
    My partner and I go to a call for back pain. We go into the house to find an older gentleman sitting on a wheeler/walker in his living room. I assessed vitals as my partner was interviewing the Pt as it was his turn to be the attending medic. I finished and my partner was still talking to the Pt. So, I just start kinda looking around the living room from where I’m standing and notice a box set of Star Wars on the shelf. “Cool” I thought to myself. “Maybe he will have some more cool stuff around.” So, I continued to kinda discreetly look around the room, not really seeing anything out of the ordinary. Until I got to the fireplace.... As I am looking around, the fireplace was to my left and I notice a large (24” x 36”) oil painting of a woman. I immediately noticed that she is topless and.....oh my! She’s totally naked, spread eagle, full frontal, 80’s bush. I almost laughed out loud but contained myself to a smile. When we went outside to get the cot I told my partner to check out the painting above the fireplace. We went back and when I looked at my partner he was looking at me smiling. Ha! Got ‘eem!

It was a very good painting, too. Lol.

Tara Ann, mitchgo and GrassManKzoo like this.
  10. Prefectturfnj

Prefectturfnj LawnSite Member

Lol that’s a good one

I had a customer forger we had to cut her lawn that day ... so we show up here music blasting in the back yard , I walk out back to make sure there isnt a party and we should come back only to find 5 college girls topless sun bathing and drinking had to love cutting student houses haha

Burnie, KUMA01, Outlawn and 1 other person like this.