1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

axle placement on trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by muddstopper, Jun 23, 2004.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I am building a new trailer to haul my equipment. I currently have a 16 ft that is just a little too short so instead of trying to modifly it I decided to build a 18 ft'er. My question is how far back from the tongue do you place the axles so it will pull right and have good weight distribution. I will be using two 3500lb axles with brakes and springs. There should be a formula for figureing the axle placement but I havent been able to find it.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

For a landscape or general hauler usually about 2/3 of the length of the trailer. For a boat trailer it is more like 3/4.

3. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

60% in front of the axle, 40% behind....unless its a tilt then it's just before the midline

4. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to use two axles you need to use a equalizer. It should be placed at the 60% mark and then mount the axle and springs based on that.

5. muddstopper

Thanks guys, That 60%, is that counting the tounge or just the trailer bed? Tongue will be around 4 ft long. I am guessing 60% of the bed and not including the tongue.

6. Loganwildman

Loganwildman LawnSite Member

7. muddstopper

Great helpful site.
    18ft trailer centerline of box =9ft
    center line of axles= 9ft+ one inch for every foot of trailer or 18 inches= 10" 6"

axle placement @ 60/40= 10' 8" axle centerline

Not a lot of difference, placing the axles 2 inchs further back will only slightly increase tongue weight and raise the rear of the ground a minimum amount for clearance issues. The extra tongue weight should make the trailer pull a little better when only loaded with half loads. or when leaving the lite attachments loaded on the front of the trailer which I usually do.

Great help Guys!!!