Lawn Care Forum banner

Back pack blowers?

34K views 228 replies 43 participants last post by  Darryl G 
#1 ·
WHAT IS THE BEST of backpack blower? how about THE STIHL 600 is it the best? ( just using it for fall clean-ups )

#3 ·
I got a 600 Magnum and it, to me, is better than any blower for the $$, that I have purchased in the past.

I have been running Echo PB 500's forever, so I cannot compare to anything with the same horsepower.....but I love it ! ! !

I paid exactly $500, since I had also purchased a new Toro G3 Zmaster/no tax for that also...Dealer loves us.

#6 ·
I've been using the BR600 for several years trouble free. Today I purchased a Husqvarna 580BTS. Used it on my own lawn and it is equal to or better compared to the BR600. It is heavier but the air flow is greater than the BR600. Give me a month and I will have a real comparison.

#7 ·
If you want a lighter blower with good power get the stihl. If you want a blower that's a bit heavier that uses a bit more fuel but saves time and makes money faster for fall cleanups get the most powerful you can buy. The redmax 8500 or husqvarna 580(same machine).
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
I really don't think you could go wrong with any of the top shelf blowers. Stihl br600, RM85xx or 75xx, husky 570, 580. Should probably add the big Shin to the list, and possibly the dolmar. Any should be very good. The dolmar is a straight gas 4 cycle, and is a shad down on power, but still a performer for about $100 less than the competition.

If I were to seriously consider Mariyuma (Kawasaki) or Dolmar, the dealer would have to prove to me that they have air filters, fuel grommets etc to service the unit down the road.
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
I love my Dolmar BP, but like you said GG...it isn't as powerful as the other big boy blowers.
My RedMax 8001 moves more air and is what I'll use come leaf season.
But for everyday mow/trim/blow/go = it is a great blower. It was ~$445 w/ tax included from my dealer.

For pure power, you won't go wrong with RedMax/Husky.

#10 ·
Well, I've owned both the BR600M and the Husky 570.

My 600 was still in excellent condition this spring when I sold it (as are all my tools, even after much use). I sold it because while it is lighter and starts so easily, it is nowhere near as comfortable to wear for long periods as my 570 even though the 570 is a bit heavier. The Husky's just have the best shoulder harness out right now for all day comfort.Their shoulder harnesses are different than the ones on the Redmax version. Comfort was the biggest reason for selling the 600. I constantly had to re-adjust it on my shoulders, and I'm not round shouldered at all. The Husky clearly and easily out performed the 600 too. The 600 is a great blower though IMO, especially if you don't have a lot of heavy leaves to do (which it will do, but just take a bit longer to do). They are great on fuel. I wouldn't have any problem owning another one if I couldn't have my 570, which BTW, is a better blower overall than the 580 which I have also ran.

I could have bought any blower I wanted when I picked up the 570, but after demo'ing all the top blowers including the 8500/580, the Echo 770 (which I really liked) 570 was the best bang for the buck. Close enough in blowing power to the 580 as to be no noticeable difference in the real world on actual heavy leaf piles, but it scoured stuck down debris better, and was lighter and used less fuel than the 580/8500, plus it cost a bit less if that matters to anyone.

#11 ·
I have a 150bt, and for the money it has been great and was a great machine to start out with. Would I notice a significant difference getting a 570, br600 or the new echo 770?? I know those have more commercial features and will last longer but Im more curious if they will move noticeably more leave than the 150bt. Enough leaves to justify $500 when the 150bt is currently running fine. The company I worked for in the past ran the big Echo blowers, but that was years ago and Im sure they have come along way, the 150bt seems comparable to the ones I used years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
I have a shindaiwa eb630 that I bought in 2006. Still runs excellent but I do a minimal amount of fall clean ups. If I replaced it I would probably get the big redmax

#14 ·
I have a 150bt, and for the money it has been great and was a great machine to start out with. Would I notice a significant difference getting a 570, br600 or the new echo 770?? I know those have more commercial features and will last longer but Im more curious if they will move noticeably more leave than the 150bt. Enough leaves to justify $500 when the 150bt is currently running fine. The company I worked for in the past ran the big Echo blowers, but that was years ago and Im sure they have come along way, the 150bt seems comparable to the ones I used years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
You'd be surprised at how much difference there is between the 150 (which is a good blower in itself) and the big boys.

#17 ·
I've owned the Echo PB770 and Shindaiwa eb854. I currently have the Stihl BR600, Redmax 7500, and Redmax 8500 blowers. For everyday use, nothing beats the Stihl since it's lightweight, fuel-efficient, and has good power. For heavy fall clean ups, the Redmax 8500 is the best because of its sheer power. It is somewhat heavy, consumes fuel, and doesn't scour the ground all that well but if can move debris quickly. However, the best all around blower of the bunch is the Redmax 7500. I just got mine in May and I keep going back to it for everything. It's lighter than the 8500 but a bit heavier than the Stihl. It's not as powerful as the 8500 but definitely more powerful than the Stihl. Last, it's fuel efficiency is somewhere between the two. If you could only get one blower, that's the one I'd take a serious look at.

#19 ·
Huh, while I definitely admit that the big stihls and redmax's are great blowers, Shindy will always be on our trailers for the simple reason that they are insanely reliable.... We have always had very minimal problems with them... We like the 802 with the hip mounted throttle...
But here is a question, why hasn't anyone mentioned the "Twindstorm Dually"??????
HaHaHaHa!!!! I am being sarcastic of course.... No offense to the makers of the twindstorm but it just seems so cumbersome and comical....

#20 ·
Huh, while I definitely admit that the big stihls and redmax's are great blowers, Shindy will always be on our trailers for the simple reason that they are insanely reliable.... We have always had very minimal problems with them... We like the 802 with the hip mounted throttle...
But here is a question, why hasn't anyone mentioned the "Twindstorm Dually"??????
HaHaHaHa!!!! I am being sarcastic of course.... No offense to the makers of the twindstorm but it just seems so cumbersome and comical....
That's funny.

That thing is a joke. My 570 blows better than both of those tubes combined based on their video. I guess if you had Marty Feldman eyes you might find some practicality in using it though........just maybe.

#22 ·
It's all based on opinion. I may have X and swear by it but someone may Z and think its the best thing since slice bread.

#24 ·
thanks for all the posting going to get the stihl 600 this week.

#25 ·
I use Echo handhelds and back packs. When I buy new equipment Im going with redmax. Ive heard from people (on a forum I used to belong to) and they have great things to say about them. I have a redmax string trimmer that I usually use as a back up, I carry a couple, my Echo and the Redmax. The Redmax is older but it is a beast. Unreal torque. They seem to be a quality product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.