Back pack mister/blower for tick and mosquito apps.

Pilgrims' Pride

LawnSite Senior Member
I am considering switching over from my space saver and jd-9 gun to a stihl or husque backpack unit to do these treatments.

I have had good results the way I've done things in the past.
But I want to free up the tank for other things.

My questions to those of you who ARE EXPERIENCED with them are:

What did you find to be the pro's?
What did you find to be the cons?
Was it easy to calibrate?
What materials worked best through the unit for you? (I will be liquid)

Thanks,

Bob

James Cormier

LawnSite Bronze Member
wannna swap :)

Ive been doing my tick and mosquito spray with one of these for the past few years..

http://www.amazon.com/Solo-416-Cordless-Electric-5-Gallon/dp/B0010XBJR4

I was told by the Garlic company a mist sprayer wouldn't be the best way to apply that material. Not sure why, but Ive stuck with that BB sprayer system for the last 8 years and its worked very well. Results that is.

this year I put on second tank and pump on the zspray and plan on using that for the treatments. One less thing to carry in the trailer and Im hoping that it will have a little more power and spray further.

I would like to add truck for mosquito control some day and use something like the space saver tank system you have. I haven't pulled a hose from a truck in 14 years...seems like it would be fun again :)

happy spreading!!!!

OP
P

Pilgrims' Pride

LawnSite Senior Member
Doesnt anyone do treatments this way?
Somebody?

Jim, I'd like to put on a flatbed again at some point too.
Just not time yet and pullin hose is still like pullin hose.

Take care,

Bob

humble1

LawnSite Silver Member
Bob you know the site I put you on, call me Fri at the main number on the home page.
Posted via Mobile Device

armyofgoodmusic

LawnSite Member
I use a Sthil backpack mister for mosquito control applications. I have had good response. I will it because it makes it easy to get into mist underneath decks and other areas mosquitoes like to hang out. Its also great because it can push the mist high up into the trees. The cons are....its heavy when full and anything over a 1/2 acre can be pretty hard on your back. Hope this helps a little bit.

humble1

LawnSite Silver Member
I use a Sthil backpack mister for mosquito control applications. I have had good response. I will it because it makes it easy to get into mist underneath decks and other areas mosquitoes like to hang out. Its also great because it can push the mist high up into the trees. The cons are....its heavy when full and anything over a 1/2 acre can be pretty hard on your back. Hope this helps a little bit.
I run solo and sthil, backpack mist blowers, the solo is heavier so the young guy gets that one. The problem w solo is getting parts, the supply chain stinks. Solo runs longer fuel wise and has a better diffuser and a bit more cash upfront.

Mike Nelson

LawnSite Senior Member
What tip setting are you all using? I am spraying CY-Kick CS and purchased the fine tip nozzle for my Stihl SR450. I believe the lowest size is to small and the next size puts out just a little to much. Considering drilling out the smallest one just a little.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device

humble1

LawnSite Silver Member
Our Stihl we have a knob that goes 1 to maybe 6 or 8 I think, we spray mosquitoes at 2.5 on that one and the solo is 1 for me 1.5 for someone taller than me. A tall guy naturally is going to walk faster. We get about 2.5 gallons per acre for mosquitoes. I wouldn't drill it out, try a half setting or go to the next setting and adj your mix accordingly.
Posted via Mobile Device