• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Backflow laws

DanaMac

LawnSite Fanatic
On our recent ski trip, the subject came up about what is federal standards, and what is enforced locally for backflow protection and regulations. There seems to be a wide discrepancy as to what is federal, state, regional, etc for how the rules are written and accepted. Argos stated he thought that the federal laws over ruled any others. which makes sense.

Here is an article from today's paper on a different subject. Please don't turn this into a debate on whether pot should be legal or whether you smoke it or not. I'm trying to show the correlation of how state laws are being changed daily, pot dispensaries are popping up all over Colorado every day or so, but now the feds say it is illegal and are starting to bust them. One guy was interviewed on the local news station, kind of bragged about growing and selling "legally", and now he's in jail.

here are a couple articles from today.
http://www.gazette.com/articles/pot-94161-colorado-ranch.html
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14393797

T.M. LAWNS

LawnSite Senior Member
On our recent ski trip, the subject came up about what is federal standards, and what is enforced locally for backflow protection and regulations. There seems to be a wide discrepancy as to what is federal, state, regional, etc for how the rules are written and accepted. Argos stated he thought that the federal laws over ruled any others. which makes sense.

Here is an article from today's paper on a different subject. Please don't turn this into a debate on whether pot should be legal or whether you smoke it or not. I'm trying to show the correlation of how state laws are being changed daily, pot dispensaries are popping up all over Colorado every day or so, but now the feds say it is illegal and are starting to bust them. One guy was interviewed on the local news station, kind of bragged about growing and selling "legally", and now he's in jail.

here are a couple articles from today.
http://www.gazette.com/articles/pot-94161-colorado-ranch.html
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14393797
The feds, must not be making enought money off of pot. :laugh:

Kiril

LawnSite Fanatic
I think this is a loaded issue. With respect to building codes, I don't believe states are required to follow a particular federal/national standard, however you would expect there is some type of federal requirement for states to adopt some type of code for public safety reasons.

Take for instance the NEC. It is a standard, not a law. Some states follow the 1999 version, some the 2002 version, etc..., however they are not required to do so. I believe the same applies to back flow issues. There are federal/national standards & guidelines, but I don't believe the states are required to adopt them.

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
Sounds like the guys that were arrested were trying to game the system. I would think that the indoor growing science has advanced to where you wouldn't need a lot of plants for a personal supply.

By the way, when did the NEC books get so #$^%&* expensive?

Mjtrole

LawnSite Member
Plumbing inspectors around here pretty much have free reign and rely on personal preferance than anything else.

We actually have one city around here that requires a spigot for winterizing to go before the backflow, not a ball valve with no threads but an actual spigot that a garden hose can be hooked up to.

Our plumber had issues with one city and took his complaints to the state plumbing inspector who pretty much told him there was nothing he could do about it and the issue needed to be handled locally.

The problem was that if we were in this certain city working before a permit was pulled the city came out with the police, fined the plumber $75 for not pulling a permit and made us stop working. The problem with that is we are not legally required to pull permits for irrrigation, the homeowners pay the plumbers for the backflow and permits and we do not have anything to connect our system to until the plumber installs the backflow and by that time a permit is pulled.

Anyway, if the irrigation industry had any kind of lobby it would be great to be able to pull permits at least for residential backflows, I've personally have installed more backflows than any plumber that has pulled permits for us.

If i am not mistaken i beleive in illinois only licensed plumbing companies can install any kind of irrigation system which i think is unbelievable.

Mike Leary

LawnSite Fanatic
If i am not mistaken i believe in illinois only licensed plumbing companies can install any kind of irrigation system which i think is unbelievable.
I believe you are right, seems like a plumber had to be standing around to supervise installs. I.A. fought that crazed law. It goes to show that the plumber's lobby is stronger than ours.

bcg

LawnSite Bronze Member
That's one nice thing about licensure in Tx. Being an LI means that you can pull the permit and install the BPV yourself. Granted, we have to permit the whole system but, it's better than having to wait on a plumber to come work on something they don't understand.

RHayden

LawnSite Member
If i am not mistaken i beleive in illinois only licensed plumbing companies can install any kind of irrigation system which i think is unbelievable.
Not exactly. As a registered irrigation contractor we are required to have at least one state licensed plumber listed on our registration who in turn must inspect and sign off on the installation before the system is registered with the state dept of health. The RPZ must be installed, certified/tested, and connected to the irrigation system by a licensed plumber. The installing plumber also needs to have a seperate license to certify and inspect the RPZ.

ARGOS

LawnSite Silver Member
"Under the provisions of the Safe Drinking Water Act of 1974, the Federal Government has established, through the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), national standards of safe drinking water. The states are responsible for the enforcement of these standards as well as the supervision of public water supply systems and the sources of drinking water. The water purveyor (supplier) is held responsible for compliance to the provisions of the Safe Drinking Water Act, to include a warranty that water quality provided by his operation is in conformance with the EPA standards at the source, and is delivered to the customer without the quality being compromised as a result of its delivery through the distribution system. As specified in the Code of Federal Regulations (Volume 40, Paragraph 141.2, Section (c))" -EPA Cross Connection Control Manual. EPA cross connection

Summary: Fed mandated, State enforced, purveyor responsible. It doesn't mean "we don't have to test in Oklahoma" it means "the state doesn't effectively enforce testing in Oklahoma therefore the purveyors don't require it".