Backflow Licensing?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cleancutccl, Nov 13, 2004.

  1. cleancutccl

    cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 698

    Who do I call to get class information for getting backflow certified? Is it done usually through the city or state?
  2. Critical Care

    Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,654

    This is old information but if nothing else it may point you in the right direction

    "Kansas: A push for licensing was made a few years ago during a drought period by the Kansas Landscape Nurseryman's Association and Kay Drennan with the City of Wichita Water Department. The intent was to use the IA Certified Irrigation Contractor test as a form of licensing in Kansas. Support for licensing fizzled when ample rainfall came. A new licensing movement plans to focus on contractor work quality as the basis for licensing. KLNA plans to promote licensing and certification through the new irrigation courses at Kansas State University and the Kansas Cooperative Extension Service."

    You could also try contacting Doris Washburn at
  3. jerryrwm

    jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,274

    Check this site out:

    There is some sort of school in Wichita, Ks. Also one in Kansas City, Mo.

    Also, you can take the course in most any state, and sit for the National Exam which is recognized by most every state. The course will run you somewhere around $400.00 and the National Exam is $125.00. Certification is good for three years and then you need to be recertified. Be prepared however as the course is 40 hrs. They don't have a 'fast-track' course either. Some schools hold classes 5 straight days, and some do 4 - ten hr classes spread out over two weeks - Mon/Tue or Thur/Fri. That way you don't burn a whole week. Some have even worked out a series of evening classes 4 hr/night for two work weeks.

    Check to see if there is a local ABPA Chapter near you. Also contact your local plumbing inspection department.

    Good Luck. If you have any other questions drop me an email or PM.

    Jerry R

    Just so you know, by the time you have paid for the class, taken time away from work, paid for the test, and bought the gauges, you are probably into your pocket for around $2000.00 But at $60.00 plus for making a 15 minute test, you can make it up in a couple of good weekends if you can get the word out that you are certified.
  4. cleancutccl

    cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 698

    Wow, I had no idea it was that expensive, but I did know that they get paid really well for a simple procedure. Thanks alot for the information guys.
  5. Critical Care

    Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,654

    Just wondering if your thinking about backflow installation, backflow testing, or both? In Oregon, to be certified to test backflow devices, you need to go through a hands on course like the ones offered by the company that Jerry mentioned. However, to install backflow devices we have a different exam which is primarily concerned with backflow and cross connection basics rather than the testing of the devices.

    Could be that in Kansas you don't need a license to install, but perhaps one to test devices...
  6. activelandscaping

    activelandscaping LawnSite Member
    Messages: 241

    So far all the cities, in my area, that require cert. on BF/BP prevention devices also require that testing be performed by a licensed plumber. They have a set price of 50 bucks a device.


Share This Page