Backhoe attachment or trencher?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by brichter14, Mar 15, 2019.

1. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

I currently have a backhoe attachment for my mini skid (Ditch witch) and I am consistently getting jobs to tile in downspouts whenever I do a renovation of someones property.

It looks like this.

[​IMG]

Now it does a great job digging them but you get big chunks of grass and soil that needs to be broken up and relaid over the trench. You also have to turn the machine to dump each scoop which tears up the grass.

Is a dingo trencher worth it? They are about 3 grand used..

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

Trenchers are much easier doing the restoration than a backhoe

3. UniqueLandscapes1

UniqueLandscapes1 LawnSite Member
    from IL

The trencher will definitely do a nicer job for tiling. I don’t have be but a buddy of mine does. I guess the cost depends on how much you think you would use it. Btw, how do you like that backhoe attachment? I have an sk1550 and was thinking about a backhoe. Wasn’t sure how well it worked on a miniskid. How much does that attachment run?

4. brichter14

It’s my favorite.

I use it for tear outs of plants and concrete. It’s also nice for planting trees.

5. brichter14

upload_2019-3-15_22-2-52.png

This concrete was busted up by that Rock under the hoe. Then hauled out and replaced by a patio.

6. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Trencher is very fast for drains. I have a 5" chain on mine. I bet your attachment works well for ripping out overgrown landscape.

7. brichter14

Is there any lot that goes into a trencher? The one I found that’s reasonably priced is rusty as hell. Should I avoid older models?

8. brichter14

9. brichter14

10. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

I own the same exact unit and it is great for tear outs . I also have the ripper attachment for it too and it’s good for roots . But saying that it’s not as nice as my excavator with thumb.

The lil eTerra’s are stoutly built and don’t take long to pay themselves off.