Backpack blower/fogger ?

davidris

LawnSite Member
Has anyone used a backpack blower/fogger for spraying trees? I have seen the home pest control guys using them on the exterior of houses and they seem to spray pretty high. Just looking for feedback?
I would like to get one for our plant health care truck, but at at almost a $800 it better work well.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
I have. Really did not like it either. No way to control drift and some products such as horticultural oil do not work the same if sprayed as an air assisted mist. Also, if the mist blower is going to be used for overhead work, the machine will need to liquid pump accessory and the ULV nozzle. Those backpack machines are gravity fed, so what happens to the output when the pipe is pointed overhead? For treatment of a few short trees, my preferred equipment is the engine driven backpack sprayer with duplex piston pumps such as the Maruyama MS074, Solo 433, or the SP818. You will need to attach either a two handed tree gun or a JD9 gun with the appropriately sized orifices to make it all work. I use one of those units with an Italian made two handed tree gun and a 1.5MM orifice. Goes up a 15 ft tree no problem and with minimal drift.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
we have one, a stihl, we have been playing with for multiple applications but have yet to dertermine the real effectiveness.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Try your backpack blower for blowing trees to get an idea of how high you can reach with the stream of air. Then get some duct tape and tape a hand sprayer nozzle in the air stream. Use water or water plus dye and get an idea of how high and what coverage you can get. Also evaluate the drift potential. Keep your back to the wind, LOL! Get a demo from your dealer if you can. Blower/misters are a good bet for mosquitoes in the wooded areas.

GrazerZ

LawnSite Senior Member
we have one. we use it for tick and mosquito applications. i'm very happy with it. i pretty much only run bifen in it. it allows us to do the mentioned app as well as hit small trees and shrubs for insects like jap. beetles.

boats47

LawnSite Senior Member
I have two stihls and think they are the greatest thing slice bread. I use them for mosquito and tick sprays and the time saved on a property is ten fold compared to dragging a hose around. Great tool!