• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Backpack Blower or Walk Behind??

asperber

LawnSite Member
I have about 1/2 acre of property and have always used a Husqvarna 560BTS to pick up the leaves. I was thinking of picking up a walk behind blower this year for fall/spring cleanup. Thoughts?

Or would i be better just getting a higher cfm/air speed backpack?

OP
A

asperber

LawnSite Member
For myself, for my own lawn and possibly for a few family members properties. Is it worth it? How difficult is a lower cost Billy goat to push, if it's not self propelled?

DMT29

LawnSite Member
I have the F13 and it absolutely destroys leaves. I use it on properties I can just blow to the curb for municipal pick up. Up and down hills it can be some work but if you have relatively flat property, should not be a problem.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Member
Take a look on the trailers of professional lawn maintenance crews in your area. Chances are that you won't see many if any wheel blowers on them. There's a good reason for that. They're cumbersome, exhausting and inefficient on residential lawns and you have little control of the air stream compared to a backpack blower. If you need to move large piles over large distances you're better off just loading a tarp IMO.

Yes, they have their place but I don't think a 1/2 acre residential lawn is it.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Member
See that little bit of orange showing in the center of the photo behind the skid. That's where my 10HP Billy Goat lives, in the back corner of my shed along with the other things that I've acculturated that I have little use for. :)
IMG_20201013_111907703.jpg

OP
A

asperber

LawnSite Member
I appreciate the replies! If i upgrade my backpack blower, whats a good powerful one? Stihl BR800? Anything better?