• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Backpack Blower or Walk Behind??

DMT29

LawnSite Member
I don’t know, I think they definitely have their place on residentials. Half acre with 85% of property in front with straight shot to the curb. They for sure have a place for fall cleanup in the right circumstances. Just another tool in the tool box.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Member
Mine is in pretty good shape and has the updated Briggs head. My dealer suggested $600 but I thought that was high. I'd say $400 is a fair price.

I run the Echo 8010 and my Husqvarna 580 as my backup (my previous daily use big blower). I'd say either the Echo or the BR800. I haven't run the Stihl but I've heard that they are close in power to the Echo and that some prefer them for the more compact air stream, ergonomics, fuel consumption and noise level. I can't stand my local Stihl dealer and prefer 2 stroke machines so steered clear of the Stihl.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Member
I don’t know, I think they definitely have their place on residentials. Half acre with 85% of property in front with straight shot to the curb. They for sure have a place for fall cleanup in the right circumstances. Just another tool in the tool box.
I don't disagree but for my operation I don't find a use for mine anymore and wouldn't recommend one for a homeowner's occasional seasonal use.

Valk

LawnSite Gold Member
Not many folks around here have the convenience of a woods in the back...and even if they did I'd need the best wind direction possible if using a BP blower on a semi-windy or windy day. A wheeled blower moves a LOT of air and certainly has its uses especially if moving a LOT of leaves, though it will have its own issues if trying to work against the wind on a windy day. Otherwise a top tier BP is the most versatile tool for the job of blowing out leaves, then using nature's wind if needing to move a quantity/mounds in a particular direction.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
I have about 1/2 acre of property and have always used a Husqvarna 560BTS to pick up the leaves. I was thinking of picking up a walk behind blower this year for fall/spring cleanup. Thoughts?

Or would i be better just getting a higher cfm/air speed backpack?
What do you do with them after you blow them together?

meestahbig

LawnSite Member
I have 30k sq ft lawn, with wooded buffer on the sides... no leaf pick up by the town. I love the push blower and really like the older version of the billy goat. I had the 9hp, but had the chance to buy the 13hp Honda for $450 last month, it looked like new. I couldn't resist. I'd say these make for quick work. I also have a br600, but that died so I now have the br800x. I switch back and forth. The push blower is more effective, the backpack, well that's just fun... buy the push blower, you will enjoy using it for personal use. They aren't that heavy for an occasional cleanup.

Attachments