Backpack Blower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Olympus, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Olympus

Olympus LawnSite Member

Guys, I need recommendations for a good backpack blower. I have a large wooded hunting property that I do prescribed burning on. I’m burning approximately 8 acres and I have the entire area outlined in fire break trails. I have to blow all of the leaves off of all of the trails down to bare dirt before I can burn. My trails are about 7ft wide and will always be covered in leaves and sticks. I have a small handheld Stihl blower, but it’s not nearly powerful enough. It would take me forever to do with that blower. Our local conservation Dept has backpack blowers to loan, but they’re starting to get worn out and I wanted to just have my own blower.

I’ve been looking at the Stihls, Echos, and Husqvarnas. Any models in particular I need to look at?

2. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

Br800 stihl. It'll scower down to the water table.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  3. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

As far as specs any unit that can move about 700 CFM or more around 200 mph should perform well, you can't really go wrong with a top of the line model from any of the established commercial brands.

4. GoPappy

GoPappy LawnSite Bronze Member

The cost difference between top-of-the-line commercial and the next step down is only about $100. E.g., the Stihl BR600 is $500 and the Stihl BR800x is $600. Same thing with Echo and other brands.

For the big step up in performance, the small increase in price seems to be a no brainer to me. Buy once, cry once.

FYI, the brand new Echo BP8010 is supposed to be the king of backpack blowers, with the Stihl BR800x close behind. And some people like the 800x better. I haven't used either once so I have no opinion.

hort101 and Mow-Daddy.com like this.
  5. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

I got a br800 this fall. Huuuge jump up from the 600s. And yes only $150 more. Was $650.
    Haven't tried the echo.

GoPappy and Doc8406 like this.
  6. Olympus

Olympus LawnSite Member

Do I really need the top of the line model? I’ll only be using it one time a year, albeit for a pretty big job.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Do you want junk or quality? There really is no in between in hand held equipment

Doc8406 likes this.
  8. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Bronze Member

Got to try on the BR800C.. i like it and that is the one that i will get when some new funds are free to do so

9. Olympus

Olympus LawnSite Member

It’s been my experience that it’s not one or the other. I have Stihl homeowner MS170 chainsaw, 56RC trimmer, and their gas hedge trimmer that have all been used heavily for the last 10 years without a single issue.

I recently bought an Echo CS-590 Timberwolf Chainsaw that most people consider highest model consumer grade saw and guys use it commercially rave about it.

I just don’t buy into the logical that every model except the top of the line is junk...regardless of manufacturer.

10. Olympus

Olympus LawnSite Member

The Echo PB-770T, the Husky 570BTS, and the Stihl BR 600 are the models that I've been looking at online so far. And all of them seem to meet the 700 cfm/200mph suggestion that another member had posted.

hort101 likes this.