Backpack vs. Push-Behind Leaf Blower for this property.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Whiteskulleton, Nov 27, 2019.

?

Which one should I get?

1. Back pack blower

100.0%
  2. Push-behind blower

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Whiteskulleton

Whiteskulleton LawnSite Member

I’ve been browsing the forums and seen plenty of these posts but each post usually says it depends on the property. Thus, I’ve attached a plan of the property. It’s just a draft I have been working on so it’s not pretty.

Anyway, I do volunteer work on this property (it’s a charity) and they don’t have any good yard work equipment so I’ve been buying them some. I need a leaf blowing solution. The property is 1.65 acres. Everything slopes towards the house. 0.5 acres are just trees and unused. 0.5 acres are just their huge asphalt driveway. the rest is the house and the yards. There is also a pool. Anyway all they have is an electric blower and I recently fixed their very old gas powered leaf blower but it is pathetic (it keeps cutting off and won’t reach full power). Been trying to tune it but I’m done with the thing. Took me 2 hours to do the backyard alone and with the thing. I need something heavy duty and I am prepared to spend up to $500. I found a used Little Wonder 8 hp for $500 and I am leaning towards that and using the other leaf blowers for the decks and such. I have to make a decision Fast because this blower is in Atlanta and I’m only here until Saturday for Thanksgiving. The big professional backpack leaf blowers have similar specs to these push behind blowers but I’ve never used one. Since, I’ve got 2 weak leaf blowers I was thinking about going with the push-behind. There is a leaf collection service the city offers so I will have to push all the leafs in the yard uphill towards the street. What do you guys recommend?
    8B9AE20C-782A-4177-A278-7657C8E216B4.jpeg

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

Get you a good backpack blower. That property has way too many nooks and cranny's. It would be nice if you could have a wheeled blower but $500 isn't going to get one. A backpack is a little slower but it will do a complete job.

BrandonV and Cam15 like this.
  3. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a wheeled billygoat I think 13 hp years ago. Sounded great and they are for the right properties. I was either blowing leaves across the dang street or just too hard to control. If you were doing a soccer field or football would be excellent. Blowing parking lots, excellent. For us it was an overkill that was unusable. Bought for around $1600 sold next year for $750. Liveand learn. Get you a heck of a BP like redmax 8550, echo 8010, Stihl br800... All are going to runa $600 but you will not be disappointed in any of those IMO.

Whiteskulleton, Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  4. Keith4216

Keith4216 LawnSite Member

Backpack does everything. Push is limited. Best time of year to get lightly used ones from guys selling everything to pay the light bill.

rclawn and Whiteskulleton like this.
  5. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Platinum Member

Back pack blower all the way on this one. If you can go up a bit you can go buy a brand new echo or stihl blower.

Whiteskulleton likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Whiteskulleton

Is there any reason why I wouldn't buy a Husqvarna?

sjessen likes this.
  7. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Platinum Member

Stihl and echo make the 2 biggest and best blowers on the market.

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Which blower are you considering? While not the biggest or the baddest they are very good blowers and would serve you well. Just purchase what a good local dealer has for sale. But, for leaves, it is best to get the biggest blower you can afford.

Watch CL for used units. Have recently seen almost new Stihl 800's for sale for $400. For basically homeowner use a used machine will be fine.

Whiteskulleton likes this.
  9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

I've never priced a wheeled push blower...what's the cost for new?

10. OP
    OP
    Whiteskulleton

Well, the Husqvarna 570 BTS is the biggest and baddest for under $500. 236 MPH @ 972 CFM for $450. That’s in my budget. I would love the echo but it’s slightly too expensive.

Cam15 likes this.