backup 9volt battery...Rechargeable?

gunsnroses

LawnSite Senior Member
On some older rainbirds that have a 9 volt backup battery, I have a question. I did a quick search on the forum and did not see any info. I have about 70 clocks that need batteries, I install them about every 6 months or so. I seem to always have issues with corrosion, terminal separation (even with grease). I now am under the assumption that they must be rechargeable. If this is correct and someone has experience with the rechargeables, let me know how long they seem to last. I am trying to justify spending $500 + on batteries....if they last more than 2 years, and it is the right thing to do, then it is a no brainer. gracias

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
9-volt alkalines cost less than a buck in quantity - I pay even less for supermarket sale batteries

If you have a controller needing a rechargeable battery, the instructions would tell you.

irritation

LawnSite Platinum Member
The older ESP's took rechargeables and have a charging circuit, they last 4-5 yrs if keep them plugged in all year. There is a warning sticker to not use anything else but some homeowners don't know how to read.

DanaMac

LawnSite Fanatic
Yes, older RB ESPs took a Ni-Cad rechargeable 9-volt. Regular battery will corrode. I have seen one battery pretty much blow apart and ruin some of the plastic case for the controller.

OP
gunsnroses

gunsnroses

LawnSite Senior Member
quit putting in 9-volt alkalines when the clock has a charging circuit for rechargables.

yea gottcha. I do need the 100 v zapper batteries. I dislike those clocks. The dial adjustments are the worst. I will encourage the association powers to plan for replacements in the next few years.