1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

backup equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsu03, Apr 18, 2008.

1. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

how much backup equipment do you guy's own/carry? a friend of mine has a 3/4 man crew servicing 80 large yards/properties and carries 3 super zs, 3 blowers, 4 trimmers, and 2 edgers. also has 2 older z's at the shop. is this overkill or insurance for damaged equipment? what do you guys have?

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have at least one back up for everything.

3. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

most the time when you get a new tool you hold on to the old one for backup.......

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

We technically have spare 2 stroke equipment but that stuff needs replacing almost yearly---if one quits I replace it with new.

We have a couple extra ztr's which I believe are necessary for a productive mowing company.

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I got laught at in here, but I recently purchased a troy built edger from Lowes. I can change the heads out so I have a back up edger string trimmer blower hedge trimmer and blower without a huge investment.

All my equiptment is very realible, but at some time I plan to inventory spare parts to them.

6. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Troy Bilt? Seriously?

I have at least two of everything backup, except trimmers. Three total for those.

7. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

No this is not overkill. At any time any one or two of his main mowers can take a dump.
    If you do not have backup equipment your asking for trouble.

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I said dont laugh LOL. Seriousley thats my back up I use Shindawia string trimmer and blower I needed a back up and didnt want to spend big money

9. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Well Shindy is a wise wise choice. 2 of my trimmers are Shindy, and I couldn't be happier.

10. The Grass Guy

The Grass Guy LawnSite Member

Im using the Stihl Kombi Unit as my back up, once you buy the power head you can pick up what ever you need per job etc. If I recall the string trimmer head is like 89 bucks. I work by myself and if I need help they bring their own stuff (tried the using my stuff and it got expensive) . The Kombi unit works for me, I made the choice when I was stuck between needing an extended reach Hedge Trimmer and a pole saw at the same time.