Backyard drainage issue Question-with Pictures

deere615

LawnSite Fanatic
I have this customer I have done a few jobs for and they want a fair amount of landscape work done. They also asked me about this drainage issue in the back yard you can see where the water sits in the pictures, what would be your best recommendation to fix this here?

IMG_20120312_093825.jpg

IMG_20120312_093832.jpg

IMG_20120312_093843.jpg

IMG_20120312_093825.jpg

IMG_20120312_093832.jpg

IMG_20120312_093843.jpg

KrayzKajun

LawnSite Fanatic
What's on the other side of that fence? How long does water pool there after it has stopped raining?
Posted via Mobile Device

LindblomRJ

LawnSite Silver Member
In the first picture you can see the ditch and how the water is in the low spot. Couple of questions. What is on the other side of the fence. The second question is what is the soil type.

It looks like the ditch is supposed to slope downhill towards the tree and fence, out the "back" of the property.

Three options to fix it: First re grade the ditch. The easiest way would be to bring in some fill from the shed to the tree and making sure to maintain the ditch and slope away from the house.

Option 2: A dry well in the low spot to drain the pool. The effectiveness of a dry well would be soil type and depth of the well.

Option 3: A french drain, again, in the low spot, with the pipe carrying the runoff away. And day lighting the termination of the drain where the water can me discharged.

walkerwarrior

LawnSite Member
Looks a little low all allong the fence extending to the shed. I would bring the whole area along the fence up 3-4" with loam and grade into existing lawn and seed. I would backfill loam right up to the pvc fence and make sure no water is drainaing into the yard from the neighbors. The surface water is slowly draining to low spot in the yard. Your going to need quite a bit of loam but should help. Also is there water draining off the driveway near the shed, try to devert if that may be an issue too

Tizzy

LawnSite Senior Member
Is the house located in a flood plain where the water table would be high throughout the wet season?

its clearly a grading Issue as to why the water pools there but there has to be something else effecting why the water is standing (not drainging) my guess would be flood plain. or the soil is very compacted.

the dry well and drain lines are good idea but i think regrading and sloping toward the fence is your best bet. but check on the flood plain/ water table. if its got a high water table to the point the water wont drain. dry wells and or drains wont work unless the drain can get to a low area.

also does the house operate on city sewer or septic system. if its septic do you get bad smell in the area sometimes. because a failing leech field will cause standing water at ground level.

didnt see any sprinkler heads. but do they have irrigation system? because a leaking line will cause the ground to settle out and water to sit on the surface after the system has run.

the key would be look into water table, sprinkler system and septic if they are applicable. becasue understanding what is causing the problem is the first step in mitigating the issue.

if its simply a rainwater issue i would just regrade the area and slope it toward the fence.

sorry for the long reply but hope it helps.

McG_Landscaping

LawnSite Fanatic
french drain into a dry pit for the water to drain off into. also some regrading

ibuildme

LawnSite Member
yes, do a french drain but if you dont know how to do a french drain i will tell you now. First off, your going to probably want to use a small back-hoe and mini ex. digging by hand will be a bit**. You need to order wash gravel also. Dig a trench about 1.5 feet in width and about 3 feet or more under where the water is sitting and then run the trench out to a run off area like a creek of pond or even a ditch. You need to get 6" wide PVC with single line of holes. Line the entire bottom of the trench with about 4" of wash gravel. Once that is done, place the slotted PVC ONLY under the effected area; use a solid PVC pipe to run the water away. Make sure you put the hole DOWN in the trench, a issue many people do. The reason for putting the holes down is so dirt does not get it, but yes, the water will still run through. Fill the slotted PVC portion of the trench with wash gravel ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP OF THE TRENCH. grass will grow over it and you will barley e able to notice the pipe is there in one year. make sure the run off pipe is at a gradual down slop for the water. It is pretty self explanitory but also know that a french drain under a leach field is ILLEGAL! I still do it anyways becuase spetic is cleaner than most of the fresh water on this eath for christ sakes.