1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

BackYard with poor drainage

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Natural Impressions, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Natural Impressions

Natural Impressions LawnSite Member

I am writing this in hopes of finding someone who might be able to help me out with a customers drainage problem.

I currently have a customer who has a relatively large back yard ( 20 by 40ft deck on back of house....40ft seperating the deck from built in pool.....1/2 court basketball court to the left of pool......I'm guessing 100ft. by 225 ft. in dimension overal.
    The grade of the house drops at about a 10 degree angle from the back door to the pool. Because of this slope most of the water settle in front of the basketball court...ground is very very wet.

I am trying to help him with a solution to dry out the area. My question is How could I do this? His overal plan is to one day put a kio pond where the drainage problem is and I don't believe he will ever be able to do this because of how wet the soil is. Please help. Thanks

2. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

www.stormtech.com
    sub-surface drainage isolators. you could plant them far enough away from the proposed koi pond area, and still accommodate for the pond.

3. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

french drain

4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Curtain drain, place it uphill of the problem area and catch all the water before it settles in the location of the "someday, maybe " koi pond.

5. Natural Impressions

Natural Impressions LawnSite Member

The curtain drain. I did somthing like this for a customer who had a washer draining to nowhere. She would always have an area of blue or red water in her back yard. So I dug a whole there ( 4ft. by 4ft., by 4ft.) and filled it with 2 ft of stone.
    I'm glad to know this is something that could help this drainage problem. Any reconmondations on depth or is 4ft depth ok. I went that far deep last time because I wanted to get below the freezing line.

Thanks for your advice.

6. blackoakstone

blackoakstone LawnSite Member

ever checked into rain gardens?
    if not, google it. or hit raingardens dot com...
    environmentally sound way to use runoff and poor drainage to the homeowners advantage.