Bad Boy Cat/72"

Hello, I am looking at a used Bad Boy with the Cat and 72" deck. The machine is private owned and I dont remember the exact hours 600-800 range. What can I expect the machine to be worth this time of the year? I currently have a 2004 John Deere F1445 seriesII 2wd w/72" deck with @1900 hrs that i am trying to peddle to fund this machine. Thanks For the responses!

KrayzKajun

LawnSite Fanatic
I priced a badboy with w/ 35hp cat diesel and 60" deck last year , price was $9,998. So the 72" was prolly a few hundred more.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
R

Ralls Grove Farms

LawnSite Member
Am I missing something, scrap metal? Are these dependable ?
I am supposed to go look at it Saturday. If I could get it for $6000 to $6500 would I be getting hurt being it is a used machine.
I thought only the 35hp came with the 72"?

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
With it being $10K new, I would say half that would be a good ball park with the hrs on it.

What year is it? Also makes a difference.

There are mixed reviews on the mower. They had the pwr etc but questonable with longevity. I would check the frame closely at the welds and other stress points for cracks, grab the blade's to see if there is play in the spindles, basic stuff. I personally didn't like the rpm's they used for the hydro's to get there speed. Also I disliked how they moved pwr from the horizontal crank to the vertical deck pulley's/spindles.

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
Do you have a dealer close buy? Parts for them are not mainstream in the aftermarket. Got to go to a dealer or Bad Boy.

retrodog

LawnSite Silver Member
Hey, there are some 72" 28hp running around, I like the 35 in that application. The 35hp 72" was $13000, the 2860" was on sale fore 9999 for 2010. The 4 cylinder is a monster, and parts are very easy to get, a heck of a machine. Come with lifetime frame and deck warranty. $6000 would be getting you a heck of a machine for the money, motor is rated for 6000 hours. The suspension will spoil you over the Deere too...
Posted via Mobile Device

retrodog

LawnSite Silver Member
Check exhaust cracks, check bearing belts, point out any negatives to get a better price out of it, pm me if you need anything for it or have questions about it. On the serial number, the 4 numbers after the bba7235ca are the month and year it was born, and check under seat for aluminum hydro tank (the old plastic ones need replacing before too long, another $150), also check the front forks, the older design is two piece, and bent easier, the new design is a one piece, again another $300 upgrade that will be needed eventually, that's about it, hope that helps with your purchase. Use it before handing over the cash to make sure you will like it (I know you will)
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
To the op, retrodog is a bad boy dealer also.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
R

Ralls Grove Farms

LawnSite Member
Those are some really good ideas and points to look at. I have two dealers close. One @15 min away and the other @45 min. I work with the person who has the mower and I guess it is a fine line when dealing with someone you will have to work with for a while. He isnt know to be one that does prevenative maintenance so I am holding my breath as to its condition. He used it to mow his @1ac yard and his daughter used it commercially the rest. I will let you know what i find tomorrow evening. Thanks for the comments.