Bad boy czt elite vs zt elite

RDeSmet

LawnSite Member
I was looking for some input on the Bad boy mowers. I am looking at getting either the zt elite or the czt elite and was looking for some input on if it is worth the extra $1000 to step up to the czt elite, with all other things being the same (same deck size, engine brand, etc...) I have about 5 acres to mow and it is flat except for about a 300ft long ditch. I have about 50-60 trees to mow around and about half of the yard is fairly rough. The other issue I have is that there are no dealers of anything near me (box store cub cadets), so I am limited to TSC having the closest thing to a commercial mower for me. There is a John Deere dealer nearby, but the price of their mowers is way out of my budget.

Here is what I was looking at:

Bad Boy ZT Elite 6000 with Kohler 7000 engine

Bad Boy CZT Elite 6000 with the Kohler Confidant engine

I just don't have much for choices, the down side of living in such a rural area.

retrodog

LawnSite Silver Member
Please buy the czt for 5 acres. It has a 3400 tranny and a confidant with cyclonic air filter versus 3100 and a 7000. The czt is commercial grade motor and tranny versus the zt being homeowner. You will also like the 10 mph vs 6 and the adjustable handles. Also get the grammer msg seat upgrade, its an $1100 seat comes on the mower for $389.... if you said 2 or 3 acres i would tell you to save the 1000, but i think 8 years from now when your commercial trannys are still rolling you with thank me...
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
R

RDeSmet

LawnSite Member
Thank you for the info, I was leaning towards the czt but thought it might be overkill for 5 acres getting mowed about once a week. This summer has been so dry that I think we mowed once for the entire month of July. I also found a gravely dealer about 50 miles away, so may look into them a little too, they had a pro turn 60 and a zt 60 hd, both with the kawasaki motor. The zt hd was in the same price range as the bad boy's but the pro turn was about another $1500 on top of that. Currently we are using a John deere lawn tractor with a 42 inch deck and put about 150 hours a summer on it doing just our lawn. It is usually a multi day effort to mow it all.

OP
R

RDeSmet

LawnSite Member
Ok so still looking for some opinions. Stopped by my local gravely dealer and took a look at the pro turn 60 and the zt hd 60. The pro turn 60 would be about $500 more than the bad boy czt elite and the zt hd would be about 250 more than the bad boy zt elite. My question is what are the major differences in the pro turn vs the zt hd. I noticed the pro turn has a kawasaki fs motor and zt 3200 hydros vs the fr motor and 3100 hydros in the zt hd. Where the gravely dealer is closer and can do their own service i am leaning that way but am somewhat on the fence about which model to go with.
Posted via Mobile Device

retrodog

LawnSite Silver Member
The choice would come down to this for me....

The CZT has the power deck lift which some love or hate vs the pt having foot pedal. The Bad Boy will save you some dough, but the 0% finance fee is a little higher and the warranty is a 2 year versus gravely 3 year. I think bb builds a tank of a mower with no rattles/squeeks like everyone else with the tractor grade turnbuckles holding the deck up, and the 3400's are a little better tranny. The BB is slightly smoother driving it, but the gravely feels like its all there if that makes sense.... On the gravely they have a much better pulley system and I love the split deck belt system with the octagon double sided belt going to the clutch and the toothed belt going from middle to chute spindle. You can tell the belt system was very well designed, limited slip, more power, less belt fatigue, and the pulleys are made in their factory as opposed to buying from outside source like everyone else. Downside to that is a pulley is 50 to $55 where the others are only $20...
Its gonna be a very hard decision for you bud....that's why I just started carrying both...lol....

On the wheel bearings on the lower end bb, they are using class 3 imported bearings, sometimes Turkish, sometimes Chinese. I just started getting class 1 Timken bearings here for my customers for replacement, they have been lasting a little longer in testing, and are only a few dollars extra...

OP
R

RDeSmet

LawnSite Member
Retrodog, thank you very much for the information, your posts have always been very helpful (not only the posts here, but the help and insight you have given other users also). I am thinking that the gravely pro turn is starting to get out of my budget, and not sure if the zt hd is gonna meet my needs for the long run (it seems more competitive with the zt elite from BB than the czt elite). It is a very tough decision, especially when you factor in service. The gravely dealer is closest (~50 miles) and can service the mower right there, the BB I would have to get from tractor supply, but BB sent me a list of service centers for their mowers, and there is one approx 75 miles from me. So still not quite sure, there is about $500 difference in price between the BB and the Pro-Turn. With the price difference, and the heavier deck and better hydro's on the BB, I am starting to lean more that direction. I guess it comes down to the Kohler vs Kawasaki Engines, any thought there??

man00

LawnSite Member
The choice would come down to this for me....

The CZT has the power deck lift which some love or hate vs the pt having foot pedal. The Bad Boy will save you some dough, but the 0% finance fee is a little higher and the warranty is a 2 year versus gravely 3 year. I think bb builds a tank of a mower with no rattles/squeeks like everyone else with the tractor grade turnbuckles holding the deck up, and the 3400's are a little better tranny. The BB is slightly smoother driving it, but the gravely feels like its all there if that makes sense.... On the gravely they have a much better pulley system and I love the split deck belt system with the octagon double sided belt going to the clutch and the toothed belt going from middle to chute spindle. You can tell the belt system was very well designed, limited slip, more power, less belt fatigue, and the pulleys are made in their factory as opposed to buying from outside source like everyone else. Downside to that is a pulley is 50 to $55 where the others are only $20...
Its gonna be a very hard decision for you bud....that's why I just started carrying both...lol....

On the wheel bearings on the lower end bb, they are using class 3 imported bearings, sometimes Turkish, sometimes Chinese. I just started getting class 1 Timken bearings here for my customers for replacement, they have been lasting a little longer in testing, and are only a few dollars extra...
Are those the standard in the lower end mowers (cheap bearings)? I couldn't believe when I first saw the ones coming out of that line of BB. Good to see you taking care of the folks that bought from you.

retrodog

LawnSite Silver Member
On the bearings, I will be honest with you, most manufacturers use import bearings, and here is why.... I can buy class 3 imports in 100 packs for $5.15 a bearing, sell for $14.99 which is still less than most people retail (around $21.99) for the lower end stuff for and make a good profit. Even if all 6 bearings need replacing its not that bad cost. Now take a class 1 bearing at wholesale in 100 per are still around $22. I get some mad people even if I price around $30 per and make less profit. Now the giant double ball bearings on the Outlaw are $30 retail for the highest class Turkish bearing out, get to wholesale on class one and I pay nearly $70 per bearing, have to sell for $100 per bearing it would cost someone $600 per mower to change out deck bearings plus labor.... in testing there is not much difference between class 3 and 1, not enough to justify the cost difference to these manufacturers.... I hate to see made in china on these more than you know, but I just ordered 100 for the Bad boy mz and Hustler fastrak type spindle because it was $5.15 for made in china versus $21 each cost for class 1. I am debating on calling her back to get some 1's for people to choose from, but I cant see someone paying over $100 extra just to not have china on it that they will never even notice on their $3000 mower...

Top Forums