1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Salesman... Very Funny

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by MowingInAZ, Jul 22, 2005.

1. MowingInAZ

MowingInAZ LawnSite Member

Well today I purchased a Craftsman GT5000, but ran into the most uneducated salesman I've ever seen. Here's a bit of our conversation. Salesman= S, Me=M

S "Hello Sir, how may I help you today"
    M "I need advice on buying a new lawn tractor"
    S "Ok well let me show you some our our best models"
    S "This here is the Craftsman DYT4000"
    M "What are some of the features on this model"
    S "Well it has a very nice paint job and a cupholder"
    M "I would like to know about the mower deck and the transmission type"
    S "A mower deck?"
    M "It's how wide the mowing swath is"
    S "Oh let me ask the manager"
    M "Ok" (quietly humming to myself)
    S "This model has a 48 in deck"
    M "Does it have a hydro or a shift?"
    S "uh... well er... this... uh... model has the one that you don't have to shift"
    M "Can I see some more models?"
    S "Sure, right over here is the DGT6000, it's our finest mower
    M "What exactly makes it your finest mower"
    S "It has all them bells and whistles"
    M "What is the difference between the DGT6000 and the DYT4000?"
    S "Take a look"
    M (hands me a brochure) "Ok, well I like this GT5000 over there
    S "That mower is very popular"
    M "What is the price?"
    S "uh... well... take a look on the... uh... price list
    M "Ok, $2200, I'll take it, do you deliver?"
    S "Do you mean the mower?"
    M "WHAT ELSE WOULD I MEAN?"
    S "Yes, we do"
    M (I walk out of Sears and have learned a valuable lesson, never ask questions)

2. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

Yeah, the first days on a new job are a *****. Sounds like the owner or manager prefers a sink or swim approach to the train 'em yourself approach. Unfortunately for the customer, the sink or swim approach is the more effective. I'm sure that guy will remember for a long time what deck size means. :p

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

The term "finest model" and sears lawn tractor are not even in the same catagory. Save your 2 grand and buy a used anything COMMERCIAL mower instead of a sears POS that will hardly last a homeowner a season.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You are right, even my retired '95 52" sfs will still run circles around new sears mowers AND go longer between down-times with well over 4 thousand yards under her belts.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I will never buy anything from Sears as far as tools go again and havent for a long time.I do like the Kenmore appliances though.
    But tools,mowers, tractors,blowers and weedwackers NOWAAY they are CRAP!and they don't stand behind them and fix them when you have a problem either.

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

craftsman tools have life time waranty. I love it, you break a wrench, shovel, pruning sheers, etc. and you can get a new one just by taking it there, no reciept nessary. but I agree everything else is garbage.

7. the craftsman I have is over 12 years old and has only had 1 spindle changed in that time and is still used everyday for commercial and residential cuts on small acreage I guess if you look after anything like you should it will last. as a matter of fact it cut 6 hrs. yesterday @ an avg. of $40.00 an hour.........................

8. MowingInAZ

MowingInAZ LawnSite Member

I didn't need a commercial mower, I just needed a residential tractor to mow my lawn. When I'm buying a commercial mower, I always buy a JD or a Dixon Chopper ZTR. If I had more money to spend on a residential mower, I would've gotten a JD. I'm happy with it though, so that's all that counts.