bad weather days

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by texastornado, Feb 10, 2020 at 8:14 AM.

1. texastornado

texastornado LawnSite Member

How do you plan for the possibility of bad weather? For example, yesterday we were expecting to get rain overnight and planned to do shop work this morning. We usually have the crew leads and 2 other employees come in, and alternate the rest of the employees on the next shop day. However, it didn’t end up raining last night, so a text was sent only an hour before show time to let the crews know that we’d be mowing, and that all employees were expected to come in. Just like everyone else, we have battled the unpredictability of the weather for the 7+ years we have been in business and have yet to find a solution that works for all.

2. South Hills Lawns

South Hills Lawns LawnSite Member

Wow it must be nice being able to mow in the middle of Feb LOL

I don't have employees so I'm not sure. I'm still trying to figure out the schedule thing for myself.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Scheduling around weather is always a crapshoot. One good strategy in the north at least is always have a handful of shrub trimming or mulch jobs lined up for rainy days. That way everyone plans to work regardless albeit in the rain sometimes.

Another strategy would be to start a greenhouse biz where potting, pruning, etc. Can be done in shelter on bad days but not as critical to the day is mowing is.

Welcome to lawnsite Mr. Tornado.

That Guy Gary, Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    texastornado

hort101, Cam15 and zlandman like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    texastornado

I’ll have to re-teach myself HTML, obviously.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Senior Member

Do everything besides mowing in rain.i can still cleanup beds,pruning,edge, maintenance in rain with a jacket

Cam15 likes this.
  7. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Gender bias. We should be more careful with that!

texastornado and Cam15 like this.
  8. La Chandler

La Chandler LawnSite Member

Unless you are talking about part timers, I don't understand how you cannot pay someone whether it rains or not.

9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I used to give my guys the choice: work in the rain, or go home with no pay. 99% of the time they go home. If the rain stops, they can come back in.

I don't like paying guys to work in the rain, productivity slows to a crawl.

zlandman likes this.
  10. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

I don't have employees, but my old boss never called work on a CHANCE of rain. At the end of the work day I was told "call me in the morning if it's raining to find out what's going on." I would call....if it looks to be raining all day...I would be told to stay home....if it looks like it may clear up soon I was told to come on in...we'd work around the shop and head out when it cleared up. Some things you just can't have a plan ahead of time....weather is usually one of those things.