1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

bad weather days

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by texastornado, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Justin Hightower

Justin Hightower LawnSite Member

Work them doing little stuff. Clean out the trucks, vacuum out the trucks, grease the mowers, sharpen blades, change oil (trucks/mowers). Then if it’s still raining at lunch time you can give them an option to either call it a day or send em to your place to pull weeds for ya lol

Cam15 likes this.
  2. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

We never take a day off. Everyone is expected to work. Only time we call off work is lightning or extreme winds. But like others have said, shrubs, mulch, weeding, planting, etc.... Make some money. Even if the production is slower, your still moving forward. If the weather gets too severe, we head back to the mothership and start rebuilding everything lol.

For the record, besides owning my company and running it, I am a power company linemen full time. My job REQUIRES me to work in the absolute worst weather there is. If I can be expected to climb a 70' pole in a hurricane to restore power to a 13 thousand volt line, then my guys can be expected to pull a weed or prune a tree in a drizzle. If you cant deal with the elements, move on and find new employment.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Bingo!!!

hort101, texastornado and JMK26 like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    texastornado

texastornado LawnSite Member

My
    My guys will gladly go home and not get paid rather than work in the rain. However, if the rain stops or slows to workable conditions, getting them to come back is impossible.

5. OP
    OP
    texastornado

texastornado LawnSite Member

This is how I prefer it to happen. Go ahead and plan on coming in unless notified otherwise. However, I’m not always the one making these calls and sometimes they are told the day before that we “probably” won’t be able to work so they’ve gone ahead and made plans or given themselves a hangover. It’s hard to wrestle a crew together at that point. The comments here have been helpful and we are changing our procedures for “it might rain” days.

hort101 and JMK26 like this.
  6. grass man 11

grass man 11 LawnSite Senior Member

I hope this helps you.

we made a flow chart that basically spells out exactly what to do in the event of rain, it uses the time of day plus the duration of rain and your present work load (are you ahead or behind for the week) to aid in smart decision making.

I’m theory and principle. -

1. never call off a shift the night before. Way to many things change in 8-10 hours related to weather. Call them off 1- 2 hours before their shift.

2. don’t over complicate things and try to save a few bucks. If we are only talking about a 1-2 hour delay, the. Everyone shows up to work on time. We find 2 hours of shop work and then start.

3. have a pre-determined “delayed start”. Ours is 10:00am. Our guys know if rain is expected in the morning with clear sky’s in the afternoon, they know to expect 10:00am

4. Give them specific times that you will make decisions by. It’s not fair for them to sit by the phone waiting on your call. Ours is simple, most guys report in at 7:00am. We will make a morning decision around 5:30am. We may say, delayed start, do not show up at 7am. We will re advise at 8:00 am. At 8am, we will either tell them the delayed start time of 10 or tell them day off. The point is they know by 8am they will have a decision from us, and they also know to expect more info at 8am.

5. give them 8 hours. We picked 10:00am, so that 8 hours plus lunch puts them at 6:30-7pm. They still get an 8 hour shift. They will grow angry if you make them come in at 1:00pm and they only get 5 hours.

6. Always be prepared for 2-3 hours of rain. That can mean shop work. That can mean weed pulling, much and bush trimming in the rain. But we have work ready for them at all times to kill off 2-3 hours in bad conditions.

7. it’s tempting not to have guys work on days where production will be low and profits would be low. But a break even day in most cases is better than falling behind. Your customers will appreciate you staying on schedule. So even if we know we have rain all morning, and afternoon will be slow, we still come in and get done what we can. mitigating losses with a delayed start

CrumbaughJ, Cam15, hort101 and 3 others like this.
  7. grass man 11

I would also add, our time
    Clock software allows us to send bulk text messages to our staff, we can tell them what time to be in and that message will have a YES and NO button. We can ask, will you be able to work today, they hit yes or no and I have a head count in minutes. Super handy for snow removal.

8. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

That's a great policy! Good employees tend to stay with organized employers.

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

What software is that?

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  10. grass man 11

We developed it ourselves. It’s in a beta. I can give you a 30 day access if you would like to try it out. PM me your contact info.

hort101 and Cam15 like this.