1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

bad weather days

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by texastornado, Feb 10, 2020.

1. grass man 11

grass man 11 LawnSite Senior Member

We used a google form to build this part. The manager answers a few questions and at the end it tells them what they should do. It’s not going to be perfect but I think 95% of the time if we follow it, we end up ok. There will always be those weird 4 days in a row of rain. I didn’t build it that intense.

2. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Platinum Member

Unless I'm ahead I'm gonna just work th through the rain. Isn't that what rain jackets are for?

JFGLN likes this.
  3. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Gold Member

Until you sink a mower in a lawn and have to fix the damage, start leaving mud tracks and get b1tched at and/or start losing customers. Then, you might not work through the rain. A sprinkle, sure no problem but a down pour or consecutive days of moderate rain, not gonna work out very well unless you have industrial type accts or people who don’t care, then maybe you get away with it.

4. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Platinum Member

Atleast by me last spring if you didn't work through the rain, you weren't going to cut any grass.....

5. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Amen to that! Let's hope this spring treats everyone a little better
    Its got to be better...

Mark Oomkes and Cam15 like this.
  6. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Gold Member

Let’s hope. They are calling for a similar spring this year as last year here.

hort101, Cam15 and zlandman like this.
  7. DLL LLC

DLL LLC LawnSite Member

We always say plan on coming in for 730am as normal. But will make a call by 630am if delayed or day off. Will never mow in heavy rain. It's not worth poor quality, ruts, mower stuck etc. No mower can make a rain soaked yard look good. Light rain, a shower etc is ok for any work, but if it's a all day soaker, it's not worth poor quality work. You have to be real, work done in rain will never look as good as dry weather. There is no such thing as "break even" day of work in the rain. Quality does suffer and that can mean unsatisfied customers as well as the potential loss of future customers. People that want high quality work will not want a "break even" performance. Another aspect that no one has touched on is safety! Way to easy to slip and get hurt in wet conditions. How much does the "break even" cost you when you're too guy slips on a wet tailgate? Or gets sick from working in a 50 degree wet day?

8. grass man 11

grass man 11 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with your quality does suffer in the rain. Heavy rain can’t be worked in. Light rain try to find other work other than mowing. But honestly, we do snow removal. I’m not concerned with guys slipping or getting sick in the rain compared to snow removal. If your hiring professionals, they know working in the rain is apart of it and they need to come prepared. As fare as quality, I admit it never is as good, but I’m also not saying the customer is paying for a Kobe A type of steak. At most cases they are paying for a high end choice or low end prime.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  9. greenfire

greenfire LawnSite Senior Member

Don't rely on the weather forecast. Learn to study the radar yourself and make you own decisions. To many times it says rain all day and in reality its done by 9am or doesn't start till after 3. Everyone is expected to be at work rain or shine. Its easier to send them home.

hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  10. Pete Sheppard

Pete Sheppard LawnSite Member

As an applicator, rainy weather is maddening. Fir me, even a persistent mist is a problem, since post-emergent herbicide is likely to just run off wet foliage. Pre-emergence can be applied, BUT if the soil is sodden and more rain comes, that may float away as well.
    The question can become, Do I treat and have to come back on a service call, or wait until it’s dry enough to make an effective application on one trip??

YankeeC|ipper, hort101 and zlandman like this.