Bagging clippings?

oqueoque

LawnSite Fanatic
I see lots of trucks/dumps and trailers full of clippings when I'm out.
Any time I go to the dump to drop off debris from hedge/shrub work I see multiple trucks lined up waiting to dump grass clippings.

I also see a lot of guys who work in the poor sections who bag the grass.
I guess that comes from working for people who can only afford once or twice a month and having them want it scalped to the ground "so it lasts longer".

Way too much work for me. You have to have a pretty good sized truck or trailer to bag all your lawns - then make multiple trips to the dump - time and money spent.

I'll just stick to what works for me - mulching.
And I don't know what you pay, but locally it is $18 a cubic yard + sales tax, since the one main location, that was $10 a yard closed due to covid. I still bag a very few, but got creative with legal free disposal. Anything from composting, to a can here, a can there. The lack of drenching rain this Spring helped too.

As of now I might have a couple that might need bagging sometimes, the rest of the year.

oqueoque

LawnSite Fanatic
One other thing that maybe someone said and I missed is the clippings, definitely mulched and somewhat side discharged, will look less noticeable the higher you're cutting the grass.

Another thing that helps to reduce bagging is if you are using a 30" mower, open up the side discharge and bag in the rear at the same time, as long as it is not getting discharged where you don't want it. About half gets bagged.

Last edited:

Wells mowing

LawnSite Senior Member
No places to take clippings here and at times i got to get creative disposing them.

Wells mowing

LawnSite Senior Member
One other thing that maybe someone said and I missed is the clippings, definitely mulched and somewhat side discharged, will look less noticeable the higher you're cutting the grass.

Another thing that helps to reduce bagging is if you are using a 30" mower, open up the side discharge and bag in the rear at the same time, as long as it is not getting discharged where you don't want it. About half gets bagged.
I tried that on my mower and it didn't work that well

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Member
We only bag for spring clean up and the last week before we end the season,generally the 2nd week of Nov.
Once we take the DFS bagger off the Toro we aren't putting it back on.
The back storage of our shop is loading dock height. We use the loader on the tractor to put smaller stuff away.
When we put big mowers away we call the local tow company and put all 3 on a flatbed to get them up there. Stuff isn't coming out till the season starts again.
We have an Accelerator and a Toro side bagger if we have to do a bag job off season.
But we try to avoid it if we can.

I did find these Leaf Burritos and they work well for dragging clippings out of a back yard ,so you don't have to make so many trips.
Better than tarps.

Scott Little

LawnSite Member
I find it interesting that "THATCH" has not smothered these posts on bagging/mulching.... The easiest way is not necessarily the best for the turf's health. Remember, thatch buildup causes numerous problems within a turfgrass system. Since 1979, we have bagged clippings 90% of the time, unless the grass is field quality/rough terrain.
"Old school" still breathes!

OP
Caledwen

Caledwen

LawnSite Senior Member
If your mower isnt capable of reducing grass to nothing in 2 passes its probably time to seek new machine.
If you need two passes

You are the second suggestion of running like that. I like that idea and never even thought of it until I read this thread. I rarely bag but when I do that sounds like a tool I can add

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
For cool season grasses:
Thatch is NOT clippings...it is dead root system that is fibrous and won't break down (like clippings will).