Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most people around my area "Dallas Texas"

Bag the grass, we have those big green city issued trash cantainers in front of everyone's house....What do ya do with the grass that ya bag.....

Were not allowed to put it in the trash cans.....

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
Yeah I got that one pretty much fixed too, thou I did get conned into bagging 2 this year (out of 50), so I'm ok with it but here's the spiel:

The Toro mower that I have is a Grand Recycler and I paid extra to have a specially configured mulching deck which unfortunately lacks the hardware to attach any kind of bagging system.

That's for when they don't go for the usual 'it's cheaper to mulch vs. bagging' story. And if it gets right down to the nitty gritty, sorry bro, don't do bagging, and cya L8r.

cauz the problem is bs, it takes close to twice as long (yeah once you add the time it takes to unload it) and it is highly illegal to dump it on the side of the road or even down in the brush, they catch you, it's all over. Meanwhile, the commercial dump charges a 40-dollar fee AND if I put it on my 1-acre lot, it's still an eventual problem as the pile gets bigger and bigger. So I guess when someone absolutely insists you could add 30 percent to the price where a 30-dollar lawn becomes 40, but even then it still irks me and I'd just as soon not fool with it.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
If I want to mow lawns, I must bag. Everyone in my area bags, and the customers want it, you can preach to them all ya want about how mulching is better, but 95% will still want it bagged. Anyway, it goes in the bed of the truck, I layer it in tarps, every 9 lawns gets a new tarp, and then I pay $15 to dump it off, only takes about 30 seconds to get out due to the tarping strategy :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
yeah i am up in kansas city right now and i love the grass. What kind is it because it looks good even in 106 degree weather and it seems to stripe very well. just curious. i am up here visiting relatives and the grass is nothing like that in Texas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm no horticultrialist (sp?) but I've learned when dealing with older 'mature' lawns it is best to bag, especially if you're dealing with weeds or 'infected' areas. Newer lawns need the oxygen and nutrients from the mulch to grow thicker and produce better root structures

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
If I had only 2 out of 50 that wanted bagging.......I think I would refer them to another LCO.....

It would seem that you could easily find 2 more that don't want bagging.....

Derek

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Everyone around here, for house accounts must bag too, and we can dump for free at the local dump. Just need to remember to quote with " dump time " included. This is Walker area, and we all have dump bodies in our truck beds, so makes it easy to dump. I now only do roadside mowing, for the county, so I no longer need to worry about this :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
shepoutside said:
Everyone around here, for house accounts must bag too, and we can dump for free at the local dump. Just need to remember to quote with " dump time " included. This is Walker area, and we all have dump bodies in our truck beds, so makes it easy to dump. I now only do roadside mowing, for the county, so I no longer need to worry about this :rolleyes:
Bragger! LOL :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found that bagging makes the lawn look so much nicer.

And like someone said it helps with weed control

almost every lawn "here in Texas anyway" have a tree or two and there's always some leaves in the yard, Bagging helps to pick up these leaves.

It's not so much to bend over and pick up a leaf or two.
But my question still remains about dumping of the grasses...

It looks like everyone handles it differently, Related to there location and customer's likes and dislikes......

I have a garden in the back yard and my compost pile is getting more than I can handle, Expecting more yards to cut here in the near future, I see a trip to the dump in my cards.......

But I can always ask the customer what they prefer....

And hopefully they like mulching...

Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had an old lady who wanted me to bag, so I did the first time, but the next time I "forgot" to bag, she drove up as I was finishing blowing off the driveway, and said how beautiful the yard was. I couldn't lie, so I told her that I did not bag. The next time I came she insisted that I bag it. I just don't get people sometimes.

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
matth04 said:
I had an old lady who wanted me to bag, so I did the first time, but the next time I "forgot" to bag, she drove up as I was finishing blowing off the driveway, and said how beautiful the yard was. I couldn't lie, so I told her that I did not bag. The next time I came she insisted that I bag it. I just don't get people sometimes.
That's how I usually handle it, except I don't lie by NOT volunteering the information concerning the bagging (or the lack of). If they specifically ask whether or not I'm bagging, then I tell the truth but again, I don't volunteer it.

This goes on for some time until one day they notice and not much more is said, as it has been going on for months by then.

Far as the bs about how nicely it picks up the leaves, my 20,000 fpm blade tip speed takes care of leaves just as well by cutting them into little itty bitty pieces.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
topsites said:
That's how I usually handle it, except I don't lie by NOT volunteering the information concerning the bagging (or the lack of). If they specifically ask whether or not I'm bagging, then I tell the truth but again, I don't volunteer it.

This goes on for some time until one day they notice and not much more is said, as it has been going on for months by then.

Far as the bs about how nicely it picks up the leaves, my 20,000 fpm blade tip speed takes care of leaves just as well by cutting them into little itty bitty pieces.
Yea I thought about that right after I said it, Mine does too....

Sometimes in the fall I will allways bag because of the ammount of leaves it picks up...

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
General Landscaping said:
How about mulching blades and a blocked off tube for the collector :D
I will assume that was a joke. Nonetheless, it could be seen as being dishonest and really unethical.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Would there be anything wrong with dumping the bagger into plastic lawn bags, tying them closed, and leaving them next to the customer's plastic trash hopper? We used to have a lawn guy that did that with ours and I'm thinking I may start doing it with customers who want bagging.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.