Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a few sections to mow that I can't discharge. I know this is simple, but I'm thinking about using my ZTR with spindle blower and running with bags, but cut out the bottom of them. This way I will leave the clippings directly behind me without worrying about an open chute and throwing the grass or debris into the parking lot and or into buildings.
I know I can run a "closed chute", but then the grass will clump and look crummy. Also, I don't want to bag because I'll then have to get rid of the grass.
Anyone try this yet?? Other ideas????
Pete

· Banned
471 Posts
If the grass is not TOO long, I just run with no bags in the bag frame.
Just flip the hood down and the grass gets blown down where the bag further from the tube would be.

Adam

· Registered
248 Posts
I have tried to run my Ultravac without the bags and I did not like the results. The grass clumped a little when it hit the end of the bag cover and then layed on the ground in little clumps. I will be looking into the masterchute next year for a few of my properties.

· Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by NYRookie
I have tried to run my Ultravac without the bags and I did not like the results. The grass clumped a little when it hit the end of the bag cover and then layed on the ground in little clumps. .
That's one reason why I was going to try letting the grass hit the bags and disperse first.

· Registered
907 Posts
Ought to be on the maintenace forum not landscaping.

Switchless give it try and report back.

Personally, I would guess you will still have some clumps. But ya never know till you try it! Also consider when you make turns and the bag 'swings' out over walks and other the grass will still be dropping at those times too.

· Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by ElephantNest
Seriously, mulching is not an option? I LOVE my mulch kit, makes SO much less of a mess than discharging.
Tell me more, I'm open to suggestions. How much grass can I mulch? Do I leave lines?? Is there stuff thrown around under the mower???

· Banned
2,440 Posts
No lines, no clumps, just a clean cut. In fact, sometimes I blow the drives and walks onto the lawn and mulch it all up. Now, if it is really thick stuff, it may leave a little and maybe a double cut would help, but I haven't needed to yet. The kit for my 36" TTHP was only $115.00 and well worth every penny. The only real drawback is when you come off of the lawn onto the walk or drive, then you get a little mess, but the cliipings are very miniscule, and easily blown off. Or, just try not to go from lawn to drive, making your turns on the lawn instead, then make a perimeter pass or two. Hope this helps.

~Nest

· Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by ElephantNest
No lines, no clumps, just a clean cut. In fact, sometimes I blow the drives and walks onto the lawn and mulch it all up. Now, if it is really thick stuff, it may leave a little and maybe a double cut would help, but I haven't needed to yet. The kit for my 36" TTHP was only $115.00 and well worth every penny. The only real drawback is when you come off of the lawn onto the walk or drive, then you get a little mess, but the cliipings are very miniscule, and easily blown off. Or, just try not to go from lawn to drive, making your turns on the lawn instead, then make a perimeter pass or two. Hope this helps.~Nest
What blades are you running... Doubles, stock Gators????

· Registered
1,595 Posts
I know of a guy here who runs his machines with catchers that don't have bottoms. He raves about it, his clients are happy because he is always "catching" the grass, and he never has to take any grass away. Genious idea, IMO

· Banned
1,438 Posts
Pete, I'm running a mulching mower, too ... a 48" 19HP tiger cub. I have the mulchmaster kit and I'm just using the regular lift blades, nothing fancy. It does a really good job, much neater than side discharge too. We can take off quite a few inches of top growth without a hitch. The key is to have each blade closed off from the others, otherwise you leave a strip of clippings on the right side of the deck. Hope this helps some.

· Registered
2,797 Posts
I'm still learning my new Exmark 36 Viking so an expert I'm sure not...but...what I have found is that if you have the pitch set right, the mulch kit does a very nice job not leaving any noticeable grass debris. Have not yet changed to the normal high lifts as I;m still running the mulching blades.....a few guys here suggested I take the mulch blades off when I was complaing about the quality of cut....but once I got the right combination of spacers for the blades and the front wheels, the mulch blades did just fine. Frankly I'm impressed with the long grass I can cut and not leave a trail as well as not blowing grass into planting beds....the downside is you have to scrape the deck more often....with or without MoDeck. With the Z, we either bag or blow out thru the chute.....afraid to try the mulch kit on the Z as it might slow me down too much.....but there are guys here (Hoss...I think) who run the mulch kit/blades all season and seem to like the results.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.