Bagworms

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by coolbrze, Apr 2, 2018.

1. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member
    from VA

There are bagworms infesting some Emerald Green Arborvitaes. What's a good product to spray them with & when should you spray in VA (Zone 7)? Thanks!

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

weeze and hort101 like this.
  3. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member
    from VA

Really? OK will do that then, thanks for the links. Client has about 20 of them & said bagworms were on them last year. There's nothing to spray on them that's effective?

4. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We've used bifenthrin, late may for CT, not sure if your window has closed. But yes, removing the bags by hand is the best bet. Put them in a plastic bag, tie it off and put in trash, or burn them (much more satisfying). Don't just put them on a compost heap, they'll hatch and reinfest.

phasthound and hort101 like this.
  6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

I spray Merit and have season long control for Arborvitae, Leland Cypress and all different varieties of Juniper.

grenskpr likes this.
  7. LCruz

LCruz LawnSite Member

Remove them by hand in the fall. Treatment can be done after eggs hatch at around 500 GDD, typically mid to late May here in VA. Most spinosad products can be used on them, an insecticidal soap/horticultural oil can knock down populations with proper coverage. That VTech link posted above is a great summary.

hort101 likes this.
  8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Landscape and Nursery Integrated Pest Management Report <mdcoopext-ipmreport@umd.edu>
    Bagworms
    By: Stanton Gill
    While visiting a site in Anne Arundel County, we looked at some Thuja ‘Green Giant’ plantings. They were loaded with small bagworms, about the length of a quarter, with the bag included. Tony Murdock, Fine Pruning, reports that in Frederick City the bagworms are very active this week. Tony Murdock, found one moving along his loppers while working in Frederick. Mark Schlossberg, ProLawn Plus, Inc. is finding them in Pikesville. Marie Rojas, IPM Scout, found bagworms about 1/4” long in Montgomery County and Frederick County and noted that bagworm hatch seems to be staggered this year. These reports bring up a point - the middle of July is still a good time to control bagworms. If you wait until the end of the month, they will be later instars and less susceptible to many pesticide control materials. At this point, materials such as Bt, Spinosad, Acelepyrn, and Mainspring will give good control with minimal impact on beneficial organisms.
    This bagworm was searching to find a new place to feed by using loppers as a bridge
    Photo: Tony Murdock, Fine Pruning

starry night and hort101 like this.
  9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

Right now, they are very active in my area also. I am getting calls from customers that did not have me spray them earlier this season and we are also noticing them in landscapes when we are treating lawns and letting customers know they have shrubs that need treatment. Hand picking bags isn't really an option in most cases. too many bags or too high to reach. I sprayed a half dozen 25 ft tall Italian Cypress yesterday that were loaded