Bahiagrass Herbicide

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Traveling Man, May 17, 2018.

1. Traveling Man

Traveling Man LawnSite Member

Can someone educate me on the best method to kill Bahiagrass in centipede and Bermuda? I have had limited success with MSD but it has a tendency to harm nearby trees. It scared badly one of my apple trees and killed two young pecan trees. I have been spot spraying since then and I was wondering if there is anything I can spray pre emergent?

2. Traveling Man

To the top, anyone?

3. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

My regular pre-emergent regimen has always stopped me from having bahia problems so long as I don't mis-time the 2nd application. I typically use Dimension at a high rate, but also use Ronstar, Specticle FLO, and occasionally Prodiamine.

MSM plus surfactant will take out Bahia, sprayed twice a couple weeks apart, in Bermuda. Don't blanket spray it around young trees.

In centipede I think you should use Sethoxydim.

Traveling Man likes this.
  4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

Bahia grass is a perennial. Pre emergents will not work on established plants. There may be some pre emergent activity on seedling Bahia with Dimension. Dallisgrass is on the label for pre-emergent activity when a seedling but other than that, the only way to rid a lawn of Bahia is post emergently and MSM is the stuff. You must use it at a high enough rate to deliver a knockout punch. I spray it at 1oz/acre to control Bahia in bermuda and usually get 90% kill or better in one shot. Stay away from the drip lines and root systems of young trees. I use it at 1/3 to 1/2 oz/acre for all other purposes where MSM is necessary.

While I take care of a little centipede, it isn't a daily thing I do. However, doing so requires me to know what's safe for it and MSM is safe but I've found that less is more with centipede. That being said, it almost seems to do best if I mess with it very little and I have and would spray those lower rates I mentioned but I'd never spray a full oz/acre of MSM on centipede. As Takervader has said, maybe you should use sethoxydim for that...

Traveling Man likes this.
  5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

One size fits all does not really fit. For maintaining a monostand of Centipede, Sethoxydim is one of the better tools for that. If you need to know exactly how much of the other things are contaminating the Centipede area, an application of 4 oz per acre of Tenacity will cause anything not Centipede to turn fluorescent white.

6. jcollett83

jcollett83 LawnSite Member

Dont waste your time with expensive herbicides, spray MSM @ .25oz/A twice. That would come up to about $7 an acre for 2 apps spaced 2-3 weeks apart. Like mentioned above add spreader/sticker.

7. Traveling Man

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna try the MSM again since I already have a bottle but I'm just going to spot spay the areas so I don't damage my young trees.