1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

bales of pinestraw per man hour

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by grassmasterswilson, Jan 31, 2011.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

How many bales of pine straw do you guys figure 1 man could spread and clean up per hour? I'm assuming all the bales are on site.

I've always charged a flat fee per bale (bale cost + estimated labor). I'm thinking of changing to a hourly labor rate.

2. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

5-6 bales in tight beds working around plants
    7-8 bales in wide open areas

3. grassmasterswilson

from nc

That doesn't sound like very many. I was thinking more like 20-30 bales an hour. Is that not possible?

4. GunnPropertyServices

GunnPropertyServices LawnSite Senior Member

i would say 10 to 12 including clean up any more then that i dont think you would be spreading it evenly

5. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

Oh, I have lots of experience with pinestraw and I hear tons of people say how many more they can throw out in an hour. I like to live in the real world though. The figures posted are real world figures. I guess if I was running and throwing we would do more bales per man per hour. Myself or my 100% American workforce just can't put out the numbers some people post. I would rather price it to do it right than to price it to try to kill myself to make a buck. I almost always figure on 5 bales per man hour on estimates, no matter if I think I can do it faster. I would rather send a bill that is less than the original estimate, than to have no profit cause I priced it to run and throw.

If you can do 20 bales an hour, please come to work for me.

6. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

Assuming straw is on site and no abnormally tight beds. I would say 20 per hour including clean-up and that figure is here in the real world.

7. MeandMyself

MeandMyself LawnSite Member
    from GA

What we have found is the first hour of spreading can be as high as 20+ bales in open area. Each hour thereafter it drops continuously by approx 5-15%, moreso in summer. Shrubs, groundcovers, and other obstacles make it drop as well. There are a lot of variables including bale size and how tightly packed they are. Tucking edges and cleanups vary as well.

We charge $7.50/bale for our regular clients and more for anyone else. I don't make money with it, and we rarely get any new clients from it, which is fine by me.

I would say 8-12 bales/hour is reasonable including cleanup on average.

8. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe its just me, but I sub out my needles. I got some guys that I pay to do it that can spread about 3 times as fast as me. If i spread, I dont really make any money..if they spread, then I do pretty good for just estimating and making a phone call. I charge my customers 6.75 per bale delivered and install then get my guys to do it for a little less. I dont make much on needles, but a little is better then none. I know what I am good at, and needles isnt one of those things

9. grassmasterswilson

from nc

don't think I could get $5 per bale labor here in North Carolina.

Just curious what everyone was doing. I've been chargine a flat per bale charge, but have started thinking about going hourly for labor.

10. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

you should be able to get around 3.5 per bale depending on how much you get them for. I pay 3 per bale and charge between 6.5 and 8 depending on the app and im in the Charlotte area.