1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bar type tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mac B., Oct 7, 2007.

1. Mac B.

Mac B. LawnSite Member

Are bar tread tires only helpful on ZTRs or have any of you put them on garden tractors? I thought about putting a set on my GT 235 and was wondering what the benifits are besides good looks.

Thanks Mac

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

There was a guy around here that had them on his JD lawn tractor. I dont' know the specifics, but the lawn always looked OK.

3. Mac B.

Mac B. LawnSite Member

That was another thing I was wondering how much turf damage or marking occured?

Thanks Mac

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Iv'e had some pretty aggressive ones on my Dixon before and as long as I didn't get nuts and jamb the levers from fwd. to rev. or spin on one wheel (which is a no-no even with std. tread) I had no real troubles at all. on a garden tractor you should have very good results. Not sure how often you loose traction to really need them though.

5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I've got an old Cub Cadet 149 that I use to move the boat and popup camper around the back yard. Just back up with the 3 point & ball, lift and go.
    Sometimes the boat will "take a set" and I'll wind up spinning a tire..... it will chew through a layer of bermuda real quick. Once it burns through to sand, it's diggin to China. The old Cub is a heavy unit though and it's also got about #200 extra weight from the trailer tounge.
    Just making tight turns will get things torn up a little, nothing that won't dissapear after a mowing....It would probably be unacceptable if I was running all over the whole yard every week..... if your grass does'nt heal and fill in quick, I'd stay with an agressive turf tire.

I'm running a 4 ply 23/10.50/12