Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Banned
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Again. Another question...I read that I can trim barberry shrubs darn near to the ground, ie. rejuvenation. In the past, all I have done is basic trimming of them, nothing extreme, and there are a few that are looking rather beastly and could use a cut. Has anyone actually trimmed barberry, ala rejuvenation? And how did it recover the next season? Thanks!

· Registered
3,464 Posts
Barberry, huh. Man they do look good in a landscape, but I hate trimming them. I haven't done a total cut back on any, but I've come close. They've always come back looking great. I always cut out any dead wood when I cut them back that far, too.

· Registered
3,319 Posts
M-B - go ahead and take them to the ground. They will recover nicely next year to a manageable size. I have several properties that I treat shrubs as perennials and prune to the ground year after year. This method of pruning works good on potentilla, spirea, barberry, some varieties of hyrangea, some euonymous and other deciduous shrubs. The bushes stay small and manageable.

· Registered
492 Posts
Hey M-B, you can take barberry all the way down and it come back beautiful. I think cutting a pigmy back all the way would not be a good idea. Barberies are a pretty bush. Have a blessed week. Tara'

· Banned
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so, guys if I choose to complete this mission...what month? Any suggestions, besides prayer?

zone 5.

Thanks!;)

· Banned
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Green in Idaho
M-B,
I thought you hated barberries.????

How about pruning them at the ground with a shovel?:D
Well, if they were mine, that would be the first choice, but considering that they belong to condos...well, I think that might be a problem. I could suggest it, I suppose!;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.