• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Baseball Forearms--Stihl HS 80!!

grasssin

LawnSite Senior Member
Reinforcing the fact I am an idiot:

I bought the Stihl HS 80 three weeks ago instead of the Huskie equivilant. In that time i have seen the Robin hedge trimmers, Huskie and Redmax.

Boy those are alot lighter and easier to manuever, at the rate I am going my left forearm is going to surpass the strength of my right, which has taken "years to build up" from training sessions. :D

Just remeber, before you buy research and test, at least look at other units. I would have never bought this hog if I had looked at the other choices...........

mtdman

LawnSite Gold Member
Originally posted by grasssin
Reinforcing the fact I am an idiot:

I bought the Stihl HS 80 three weeks ago instead of the Huskie equivilant. In that time i have seen the Robin hedge trimmers, Huskie and Redmax.

Boy those are alot lighter and easier to manuever, at the rate I am going my left forearm is going to surpass the strength of my right, which has taken "years to build up" from training sessions. :D

Just remeber, before you buy research and test, at least look at other units. I would have never bought this hog if I had looked at the other choices...........
Ditto that. I hate using those things because of the weight.

:D

DennisF

LawnSite Bronze Member
There is a reason the Stihl is heavier. It's built with heavier (read stronger) components and will last longer and out-perform the others. If you do light weight work... buy light weight tools. Otherwise buy the good stuff.

locutus

LawnSite Bronze Member
A few years back, I rented the FS 80's. You are correct. If you had to use them on anything approaching a regular basis, you would have pop-eye forearms.

walk behind

LawnSite Member
I've been running a Stihl FS 120 for two years now, I wouldn't say I hve pop-up arms, I only run it about 3-4 hours per week on my property though.....

mtdman

LawnSite Gold Member
I didn't say it wasn't a good machine. When I can get the thing started, it cuts through just about anything. But the damned thing is heavy and it sucks to use it. Especially for just light trimming of bushes, etc.