• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Bat Wing Mowers

Slow_Poke09

LawnSite Member
I am expecting to pick up a fairly large contract this year. It will be about 150 acres, 120 of that is mostly open and pretty flat ground.

I have a 100hp tractor that I use for snow plowing in the winter so I was thinking about getting a big finish mower to pull behind it. I can't find all that much information about them though so I'm wondering if they are unpopular for some reason or if I am just not searching right. I have used a small 12' bat wing and found it to be good but a little slow going.

All of the mowers I have found seem to be recomended for 40-50hp tractors, and from what I can tell you can only mow at about 6mph. Does anyone make a mower that can keep up to a 100hp tractor?

MOHUSTLER

LawnSite Bronze Member
That looks sweet, I bet its cheap too :)

Hoots

LawnSite Senior Member
We are looking at the Toro 4100D. It is 11.5 cut (I think) and runs around $40,000. It is a finish mower and is the same wide area cutter that golf courses use.

Our bid is on 455 acres in different locations. I am looking to buy 2 of these and 4 Ferris 61" propane mowers.

OP
S

Slow_Poke09

LawnSite Member
That land pride looks like it would do the trick once you got it going, but it would be a nightmare going down the road with it.

Even though I already have the tractor I think I'm talking myself out of going with the PTO mower. When you consider that it will only go 6mph it will only do about 50% or less more work than a large zero turn, but it costs more, ties up another $50,000.00 piece of equipment, is less versatile, and requres a very skilled operator.

Accu-cut Lawn Care

LawnSite Bronze Member
Looks to me like a Hustler industrial model. Look them up on their website. They seem to be the industry standard.