Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
My stihl 021 limbing sawjust bit the dust after only 25 years. I kept this saw on the mowing trailer and its gets used to cut up a branch to fit the truck or open a road after a storm. Maybe I will give a dewalt saw a try since I already have a battery program. The older I get the less I like starting chainsaws.

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
My stihl 021 limbing sawjust bit the dust after only 25 years. I kept this saw on the mowing trailer and its gets used to cut up a branch to fit the truck or open a road after a storm. Maybe I will give a dewalt saw a try since I already have a battery program. The older I get the less I like starting chainsaws.
Have a twenty year old Husky that is a pain to start and probably needs to go to mechanic for tune up.

Ready to jump to battery.....

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
How many minutes of cutting would you say that was? I’ve tried the Husky 540 battery saw, the battery with that saw lasted an hour of continuous cutting, and it had solid power as well. The problem is that it’s over $1000, and I could buy 3 Echo 355Ts for that.

The battery saws definitely have a great purpose for those only occasionally using a saw, or for shorter periods of time. I just can’t see them replacing a 50cc or larger gas saw anytime soon, much less modified saws like mine

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spent 85 minutes on site, maybe 20-25 minutes of saw time maybe 15 minutes. Hard to tell as I was cutting and dragging debris away. I ordered an ego 18” chainsaw a week ago for $500 that claims 45cc. I bought it mainly because of the two 5ah packs and rapid charger. Ego released a few tool packages with two 5ah batteries and rapid charger for what I feel is a decent value. I might need a good (decent compared to commercial) chainsaw for the upcoming abnormally active hurricane season.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Run time is all about Energy density of fuel source. Gasoline has about 100x higher energy per pound vs. lithium ion battery. So, a gas engine has to be running at around 1% efficiency for a saw or blower to be as "good" (or bad) as a battery powered unit running at 100% efficiency. It is the game of energy density, nothing else. Most ICE engines are around 10-20% efficiency, I think 2-stroke engines are in single digits but not at 1%.

·
Registered
26,349 Posts
Have a twenty year old Husky that is a pain to start and probably needs to go to mechanic for tune up.

Ready to jump to battery.....
You can get the echo chainsaw
It lasts a lot longer with the 4amp battery
Will cut through logs until it runs out of power

Reactions: sjessen

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Run time is all about Energy density of fuel source. Gasoline has about 100x higher energy per pound vs. lithium ion battery. So, a gas engine has to be running at around 1% efficiency for a saw or blower to be as "good" (or bad) as a battery powered unit running at 100% efficiency. It is the game of energy density, nothing else. Most ICE engines are around 10-20% efficiency, I think 2-stroke engines are in single digits but not at 1%.
Blah blah blah blah...

My cordless blower eats batteries like candy and my cordless chainsaw doesn't.

That's as scientific as it gets for me. LOL

:)

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Blah blah blah blah...
For reals yo

My toy’s once again performed to the task at hand. Doesn’t matter if I got 10 cuts per battery, there’s always another charged battery. Dude didn’t even know I was there, when I knocked on his door for payment he thought I was getting ready to start lol. Electric is a pleasure for me and the client. I’ll be sticking with my silly toys.

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
If you have the 2amp echo batteries they work and make the saw lighter but in heavy cutting will go quicker
I would move into the new generation products as I am not confident how long gen 1 batteries will be around.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Here’s the thing. One couldn’t get a cordless string trimmer or chainsaw and go out and be a landscaping or an arborist with the one battery. Can’t get a strong handheld blower with a battery and clean up leaves. But, after buying the chainsaw, string trimmer, blower(s), hedge trimmer, pole saw, ext, you’re then prepared to be seriously out working with batteries.

Commercial stuff is great I’m sure but I’d rather buy a new tool every year or two and get the batteries and chargers running consumer grade. Stihl or echo electric? Cool, buy a 100ah slave battery and get by with only a few batteries.

So yeah, energy dense petrol, cool it’s proven effective for a hundred years. I just like to share my experience successfully running battery chit, it’s very doable. Lucky for me I’ve built my business from the ground up buying cordless equipment and at this point runtime is the least of my worries.

100ah slave battery is $400, projected to last year’s and year’s and recharge close to 1,000 watt hours of tool batteries per recharge.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would move into the new generation products as I am not confident how long gen 1 batteries will be around.

I looked at this saw and didn’t see any chain speed or rpm. The ego I ordered lists an rpm of 11,000, is this decent, good, impressive?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I looked at this saw and didn’t see any chain speed or rpm. The ego I ordered lists an rpm of 11,000, is this decent, good, impressive?
Decent. The 45cc MS250 Stihl runs 14,500, but they cut much better when properly tuned at 13,800, as 14.5 is far too lean for those saws.

I’ve had some trigger time on that model Ego before, it’s not that bad. Cut speed is ok, runtime isn’t terrible either. The stock chain is pretty poor though, 15 minutes with my files fixed that. It’s not quite 45cc power though, I’d put it more on par with a bone stock 35cc saw like an Stihl MS201 or a Echo CS355T

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Decent. The 45cc MS250 Stihl runs 14,500, but they cut much better when properly tuned at 13,800, as 14.5 is far too lean for those saws.

I’ve had some trigger time on that model Ego before, it’s not that bad. Cut speed is ok, runtime isn’t terrible either. The stock chain is pretty poor though, 15 minutes with my files fixed that. It’s not quite 45cc power though, I’d put it more on par with a bone stock 35cc saw like an Stihl MS201 or a Echo CS355T
For what I do it sounds fine then. Perspective can be I bought two 5ahbatteries and got a free rapid charger and their top consumer saw free.

Should I be sharpening a chain by hand? I always thought of it as better to replace as needed. Oregon chain needs sharpening out of the clamshell package too?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
For what I do it sounds fine then. Perspective can be I bought two 5ahbatteries and got a free rapid charger and their top consumer saw free.

Should I be sharpening a chain by hand? I always thought of it as better to replace as needed. Oregon chain needs sharpening out of the clamshell package too?
Hand sharpening is how I do all my chains, from my little CS2511T up to my big 3120XP. The Ego runs 3/8LP chain, so buy the 3/8LP Stihl 2-in-1 sharpener and file the saw like that. Yes, the Oregon chain at big box stores could definitely use some work out of the box

1 - 20 of 187 Posts