1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Battery powered equipment - 2020

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by JFGLN, Jan 7, 2020.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

I can't get into putting a backpack on to run all my handhelds. If i'm putting a backpack on it's going to be a blower.

kemco and sjessen like this.
  2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Running.095 line as well.

Locke Lamora and Cam15 like this.
  3. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think still needs to push battery equipment yet.i think once the power/run time is further along they will step it up.dont use stihl but its interesting that they're lagging behind.also they are over priced as hell

zlandman and Cam15 like this.
  4. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

+1 on the overpriced Stihl battery. Their battery stuff is made by another mfg. I believe, dont remember who.
    My Stihl dealers exact words about their battery line "oh, you don't want that"

Wink'sLawnManag. and No gloves like this.
  5. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

You will probably end up with more than one brand anyway. Some items you want may not be available in your primary choice. I'm using mostly echo, but the hedge trimmer and mower are heavy. They don't offer a long reach trimmer. Still using kobalt products for some applications.

6. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Senior Member

I could be off but I thought I saw the battery pole saw for 600 $.pole saw only.

zlandman likes this.
  7. Gatto

Gatto LawnSite Member
    Male

We have greenworks commercial (the model with the two battery compartments), a stihl ar battery and the blower, and an ego with a ton of batteries. My favorite is the stihl for the power but it is not comfortable to use. Ego is the most practical, with great warranties and customer service. It gets the job done, when we are forced to used battery blowers during the dry season. Ego has much less power, but better speed variables, better storage, and over all best design for a blower. Greenworks is powerful, but the designs are flawed. It has no variable speeds, though it says it does. The speed isn't something you can really control all that well. (you have to fully press the button, then slowly release it to get to "speed 1") Green works has great power, and battery life, but loses a decent amount of air through the blower tube extension which quite frankly is something I couldn't forgive The tube is a little bulky but removable, and another plus is the battery(s) are much better protected compared to the other designs.

..k bye

zlandman and No gloves like this.
  8. LonestarLandscaping1

LonestarLandscaping1 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have many commercial properties that we can only use battery equipment on for that last year. The Makita rep let us test out every piece of makita equipment as well as other reps and brands and we were sold on Makita.
    Their batteries are lightyears ahead of the rest in terms of the technology. They have been building batteries for many years longer then the next competitor. We have a full set of everything they offer including their mower, my only grievance is that the mower could be a bit beefier, but it works great!

In sum: Makita is great! and I'm not just saying that because they invite me on their trips. Their customer service is also the best, they have a local rep that will come pick anything up if it needs service.

9. OP
    OP
    JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Silver Member

The Echo rep is supposed to contact me(my dealer set this up) this spring about some demos. I'm thinking this will be a good chance to try some battery powered equipment.

sjessen and hort101 like this.
  10. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

I remember in the 90s Makita was the Mac Daddy of cordless tools. No other company could even come close. Seeing that teal case with red highlights you just knew it was quality inside.