1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Battery powered equipment - 2020

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by JFGLN, Jan 7, 2020.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

Care to offer any factual evidence regarding why they are "lightyears ahead". longer life? longer run times? lower charge times? Anything at all that can help prove your case? Are you comparing to stihl, echo, greenworks, dewalt, milwaukee, or what?

2. Work4Food

Work4Food LawnSite Member

I've been using battery powered handhelds for the last couple years.....Ego brand. They are, overall, a little less powerful than their gas counter parts and when factoring in battery problems are definitely.... reguardless of not buying fuel...are more expensive.

When comparing Stihl, Husqvarna, Makita, Milwaukee, Greenworks and Echo Ego easily has the best complete lineup.....not even close. Plus when compared cost wise with the others they are much cheaper to own.

Check for yourself

Jeremy

The Swamp Fox and sjessen like this.
  3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

So you recommend Makita, Greenworks and EGO?

Have you tried any Echo?

4. Work4Food

Echo battery currently is not worth owning until they commit to a better battery tool line up and better battery selection.

Makita handhelds would be second, then Milwaukee a distant third.

Greenworks commercial is an odd one.....great lineup but throw out their mowers and I think Makita has them beat and Milwaukeea kombi system is real good also.

On Stihl and Husky......price is a killer. Husky whom has the best hedge trimmer spec wise will set you back nearly $1000 with two batteries and charger. I can buy 5 Ego complete set ups....5 batteries, 5 tools and 5 chargers for that price.

I could go on and on.

Jeremy

5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Thanks Jeremy. I demoed am Echo at GIE but didn’t think it was too bad. Can the Makita run .095 line, use a Speedfeed head and weigh less than 11 pounds?

6. kemco

kemco LawnSite Gold Member

Well I've got a Makita cordless drill that I got some 13 years ago that was the highest volt batteries available. I've used that drill to drywall 2 full houses, couple dozen fences and countless other things. Accidentally left outside in rain with battery on more than one occasion. Dropped off a two story roof onto concrete on accident (I usually don't do that on purpose). And both original batteries still work and the drill works great. I say all that rambling stuff to say I'd trust a Makita anything cordless.

7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Winner winner!!!

8. Work4Food

I'm not sure about the Makita being able to do those things but my ego trimmer and powerhead trimmer have been doing it for the last two years. Speed feed head, .095 line guard off with additional stickout and my standard trimmer with backpack link is the best handling trimmer I've run....easily under 11 pounds....probably more like 8 pounds in the hand. With battery on the machine it can weigh under and over 11 pounds depending on the battery.

I've never demoed Makita in the field....I've looked at, held in my hand and thought they have a nice system.... seems well made but they are not at the same performance level as Ego.

Things may change when Makita starts with their 40v line but we'll see

The single best piece of equipment Echo battery is making currently is their Gen 2 string trimmer. Limited by a lack of batteries and overall poor lineup.

I had some trouble with the early 5 ah batteries... unfortunately out of warranty. If not for those the battery stuff would be running a lot better cost wise. As far as machine durability...I have broke two powerhead trimmer motors doing the same stupid thing....didn't learn the first time.

I am deep into the battery stuff with multiple tools and many times more than one of each offering. I try to keep up on the latest and greatest.....Makita 18v best new hedge trimmer.....Echo best string trimmer with Gen 2 model...Ego can easily best Echo system wise.....easily. .Husky best extended reach short hedge trimmer....Ego best handheld blower at 180mph and 650cfm.....Ego best kombi type system just crushes everyone else power wise......Greenworks commercial best battery mower....blah blah blah.

Jeremy

The Swamp Fox and sjessen like this.
  9. kemco

kemco LawnSite Gold Member

As others have stated I'm in on the battery operated as soon as the amp hours and power (without having to wear a huge battery on my back) catch up with good ole decomposed dinosaur driven machines.

5amp hr ain't enough to floss my teeth in the big picture. Most of these commercial products will have to be at least a handful of amps imo to be powerful enough. Then you've got about an hour of use time.

10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Thanks!