Battery powered equipment - 2020

Work4Food

LawnSite Member
Huh?

Are you talking powerful enough to run a zero turn?

My backpack battery weighs about ten pounds.....

Are you comparing a small Makita 5ah to the much larger and more powerful 5 ah batteries produced by other ope manufactures?

I live in California so battery only may be here sooner than Id like just glad there are viable options already available and more on the way.

Jeremy

kemco

LawnSite Gold Member
A 5amp hr battery is a 5amp hr battery. Doesn't matter what company that makes it. That battery will give you 5amps for 1 hr.

No gloves

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm not sure about the Makita being able to do those things but my ego trimmer and powerhead trimmer have been doing it for the last two years. Speed feed head, .095 line guard off with additional stickout and my standard trimmer with backpack link is the best handling trimmer I've run....easily under 11 pounds....probably more like 8 pounds in the hand. With battery on the machine it can weigh under and over 11 pounds depending on the battery.

I've never demoed Makita in the field....I've looked at, held in my hand and thought they have a nice system.... seems well made but they are not at the same performance level as Ego.

Things may change when Makita starts with their 40v line but we'll see

The single best piece of equipment Echo battery is making currently is their Gen 2 string trimmer. Limited by a lack of batteries and overall poor lineup.

I had some trouble with the early 5 ah batteries... unfortunately out of warranty. If not for those the battery stuff would be running a lot better cost wise. As far as machine durability...I have broke two powerhead trimmer motors doing the same stupid thing....didn't learn the first time.

I am deep into the battery stuff with multiple tools and many times more than one of each offering. I try to keep up on the latest and greatest.....Makita 18v best new hedge trimmer.....Echo best string trimmer with Gen 2 model...Ego can easily best Echo system wise.....easily. .Husky best extended reach short hedge trimmer....Ego best handheld blower at 180mph and 650cfm.....Ego best kombi type system just crushes everyone else power wise......Greenworks commercial best battery mower....blah blah blah.

Jeremy
How you break the powerhead? The ego powerhead?

Work4Food

LawnSite Member
A 5amp hr battery is a 5amp hr battery. Doesn't matter what company that makes it. That battery will give you 5amps for 1 hr.
Your not factoring in the voltage rating. Makita = 18volt x 5ah = watt hours 90

Ego = 56volt x 5ah = watt hours 280

Storage capacity is much higher with most higher voltage platforms.

So a 2.5ah battery in a 56volt system is equivalent to about a 8ah battery with a 18v platform.

So I run a 7.5ah battery on my 56v platform equivalent to around a 24ah on Makita 18v .

Jeremy

Last edited:

Work4Food

LawnSite Member
How you break the powerhead? The ego powerhead?
I modified a trimmer head attachment to accept a brush blade then abused it by repeatedly running a hooked down two point blade.....I used it quite a few times then broke something up by the motor. Then repeated it a few months later on a second power head. $139 plus t+l each time.

Those hooked blades are unbeatable when dealing with blackberries but hard on machines.

Jeremy

Last edited:

rippinryno

LawnSite Silver Member
Has anybody a season in with the echo trimmer? How does it hold up? i like my echo gas units and would definitely go with an echo battery if they're solid.