1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Battery powered equipment - 2020

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by JFGLN, Jan 7, 2020.

1. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Was told Echo was updating their 58v trimmers but can’t find anything on them Do any of you have any intel?

hort101 likes this.
  2. Work4Food

Work4Food LawnSite Member

That would be great if true and interesting being that their best piece of battery equipment is their string trimmer and that it was released just last year.

I used many pieces of gas Echo equipment over the years and although not cutting edge they were/are very reliable pieces of equipment. I still use them in situations where only gas will do.

Jeremy

sjessen and hort101 like this.
  3. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using the original echo trimmer for 3 maybe 4 years now. After replacing the entire shaft assembly with one off of a gas unit it has been flawless. With a forester 3 tooth brush blade it does a good job on light brush and tall grass. Solid blades are too heavy for it. I don't even own a dedicated gas trimmer anymore.

hort101 likes this.
  4. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

The echo battery trimmer was just released last year?

5. Work4Food

The Echo trimmer that has the motor on the ground, next to the cutting head, started showing up early last year but I could easily be off by a few months. The Echo split shaft has been out for several years in battery form. It has the motor up top like a normal gas model.

Their on the ground motor model seems excellent.....maybe the best trimmer available.

Jeremy

hort101 and sjessen like this.
  6. Work4Food

A little info on trying to figure out how long these things will run on a particular battery........

My Ego trimmer is rated at 56 volts. The battery that I often use is a 7.5 amp hour model. Convert this to watt hours 56 x 7.5 = 420 watt hours. The 15" Ego trimmer uses a 600 watt motor. So wide open that equals about .7 hours or about 42 minutes.

Now obviously you don't run wide open all the time so runtimes should be higher in normal day to day operation.

A little further info....the Ego powerhead kombi type trimmer has a 2000 watt motor. And for reference that would convert to about 2 hp while the 600 watt model converts to about 2/3 hp.

This is only Ego models. Other manufacturers will have different rated motors.

Jeremy

Crazy 4 grass and sjessen like this.
  7. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, that's what i thought, you didn't mention the motor on the ground model and that's why I was curious as to how you thought they just came out last year. They've been around for 5 years or so now.

In your opinion what makes the on the ground motor better than the previous model? Is it the added torque by having the motor down at the head? They still sell the previous setup in the 58v and it gives up to 45 minutes of run time, so very par for the course I think. I am on the fence about which one of these models I would buy. The battery will work with both, however I am more concerned with which one is more ergo friendly. I feel that with the motor down on the head it may be too much weight down low? I also very much like the PAS setup with split shaft, i have other tools that I could put on it and make it more versatile.

So the echo units aren't worth owning in your opinion? They don't hold a candle to your ego's or greenworks or any of the others? that's contrary to what i've heard but I am glad to hear it so i don't go buy one.

As the previous gentleman mentioned a 2ah on a 18v is a 2 ah. A 2ah on a 56v is also a 2ah. That's what matters. A 2ah on a 56v very obviously stores more juice than a 2ah on a 18v.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Is there wisdom using 2ah batteries to save weight? Understand that more batteries would be needed.

hort101 likes this.
  9. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Yes my pas came with 4amp
    Now there 2 amp about half the battery weight
    got the 4amp on closeout at hd had a closeout sale this year to I dont know why

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    sjessen likes this.
  10. Work4Food

Apologies for my last attempted post.... technical difficulties

I feel the Gen 2 Echo trimmer addresses nicely the shortcomings of the Gen 1 trimmer. Balance, weight and power. It is not a pas model so it makes sense to keep the Gen 1 around. After hundred of hours of using a motor on the ground model the balance hasn't been an issue.

As a system Echo is lagging behind.....lagging behind companies that have only been making ope for a few years. Their blower(s), Pas powerhead, hedge trimmer, batteries, battery accessories, battery charges and mowers all need updating. They are reliable....yep.

I didn't think the gentleman understood the difference in voltage platforms. He seemed to indicate that he learned something so I don't think it was obvious to him. Did I miss something there?

I like Echo gas but they haven't done enough in the battery market to make me choose them. That may change, as like you, I have a good history with their previous products.

Jeremy

hort101 and sjessen like this.