Battery powered equipment - 2020

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Apologies for my last attempted post.... technical difficulties

I feel the Gen 2 Echo trimmer addresses nicely the shortcomings of the Gen 1 trimmer. Balance, weight and power. It is not a pas model so it makes sense to keep the Gen 1 around. After hundred of hours of using a motor on the ground model the balance hasn't been an issue.

As a system Echo is lagging behind.....lagging behind companies that have only been making ope for a few years. Their blower(s), Pas powerhead, hedge trimmer, batteries, battery accessories, battery charges and mowers all need updating. They are reliable....yep.

I didn't think the gentleman understood the difference in voltage platforms. He seemed to indicate that he learned something so I don't think it was obvious to him. Did I miss something there?

I like Echo gas but they haven't done enough in the battery market to make me choose them. That may change, as like you, I have a good history with their previous products.

Jeremy
Jeremy,

I want to purchase a battery trimmer prior to this summer. Have been considering the Echo 58v. Which trimmer do you think is best?

My criteria are that the trimmer be able to run .095 line on a speed feed head and weigh less than 11 pounds. 10 would be even better and that is with the battery installed. 2ah is fine. Low cost is not a primary concern.

Work4Food

LawnSite Member
Jeremy,

I want to purchase a battery trimmer prior to this summer. Have been considering the Echo 58v. Which trimmer do you think is best?

My criteria are that the trimmer be able to run .095 line on a speed feed head and weigh less than 11 pounds. 10 would be even better and that is with the battery installed. 2ah is fine. Low cost is not a primary concern.
I think as a stand alone trimmer Echo Gen 2 is the best. Speed feed head, should easily run a little extra stick out with guard off but echos guard as is is good, two speeds, nice but maybe a little heavy trigger, robust design.

11 lbs? Specs says it should be under but sometimes aren't accurate so maybe take your fish scale.

If I were only looking for a trimmer, not a system, the Echo would be the one I would spend my money on.

Jeremy

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks
I think as a stand alone trimmer Echo Gen 2 is the best. Speed feed head, should easily run a little extra stick out with guard off but echos guard as is is good, two speeds, nice but maybe a little heavy trigger, robust design.

11 lbs? Specs says it should be under but sometimes aren't accurate so maybe take your fish scale.

If I were only looking for a trimmer, not a system, the Echo would be the one I would spend my money on.

Jeremy
. I really appreciate this!!

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic

Jeremy
Is the gen 2 with the motor at the head?

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
you think stihl is the leader in battery hand tools for lawn care?

Echo has a 58 volt trimmer, does stihl make that? Also, does stihl have on that can cut more than 14" swath?
Stihl seems to be the leader for electric chainsaws, but I've never used there other electric stuff. I have a buddy that's a lineman, and they replaced their Stihl gas powered saws with all electric. He said everyone freaked at first, but now they love them.

cold-beer

LawnSite Senior Member
One thing that I will say about the electric stuff is that the Makita, Dewalt, and Milwaukee 18-20 volt stuff seems to have better power to weight ratios on the batteries. I have tried makita's 18 volt top handle electric saw and their 36 volt 2 battery saw. Neither were lacking power, and were very light. That top handle saw will be replacing my Echo CS-310 for small stuff.

danothemano

LawnSite Senior Member
I might've posted on this already, but I am pro Makita, I just added a small chainsaw to my lineup this past Christmas, it does just the job I need, cut firewood for personal use and nice to have handy if one of my yards had an unexpected downed branch that I can cut and haul off. Battery life and power are smooth and last a long time each charge.

Top Forums