1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Battery powered equipment - 2020

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by JFGLN, Jan 7, 2020.

1. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Jeremy,

I want to purchase a battery trimmer prior to this summer. Have been considering the Echo 58v. Which trimmer do you think is best?

My criteria are that the trimmer be able to run .095 line on a speed feed head and weigh less than 11 pounds. 10 would be even better and that is with the battery installed. 2ah is fine. Low cost is not a primary concern.

2. Work4Food

Work4Food LawnSite Member

I think as a stand alone trimmer Echo Gen 2 is the best. Speed feed head, should easily run a little extra stick out with guard off but echos guard as is is good, two speeds, nice but maybe a little heavy trigger, robust design.

11 lbs? Specs says it should be under but sometimes aren't accurate so maybe take your fish scale.

If I were only looking for a trimmer, not a system, the Echo would be the one I would spend my money on.

Jeremy

sjessen likes this.
  3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Thanks
    . I really appreciate this!!

hort101 likes this.
  4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Is the gen 2 with the motor at the head?

5. Work4Food

Work4Food LawnSite Member

Motor on the ground next to the Speedfeed head.

Jeremy

sjessen likes this.
  6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Thanks!!

Your advice has confirmed my plan.

7. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

This could be helpful. Says you can get custom adapters made.

No gloves and sjessen like this.
  8. cold-beer

cold-beer LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl seems to be the leader for electric chainsaws, but I've never used there other electric stuff. I have a buddy that's a lineman, and they replaced their Stihl gas powered saws with all electric. He said everyone freaked at first, but now they love them.

sjessen likes this.
  9. cold-beer

cold-beer LawnSite Senior Member

One thing that I will say about the electric stuff is that the Makita, Dewalt, and Milwaukee 18-20 volt stuff seems to have better power to weight ratios on the batteries. I have tried makita's 18 volt top handle electric saw and their 36 volt 2 battery saw. Neither were lacking power, and were very light. That top handle saw will be replacing my Echo CS-310 for small stuff.

sjessen likes this.
  10. danothemano

danothemano LawnSite Senior Member

I might've posted on this already, but I am pro Makita, I just added a small chainsaw to my lineup this past Christmas, it does just the job I need, cut firewood for personal use and nice to have handy if one of my yards had an unexpected downed branch that I can cut and haul off. Battery life and power are smooth and last a long time each charge.